Half model question

deenri...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2021, 2:41:00 PM10/11/21
to OpenVSP
Hi,

I am getting different values for CL/CD depending on if I use half or full model geometry.

I setup a simple wing geometry.

My procedure for running half model. I set the geometry to no symmetry (half model). But set the VLM solver to X-Z symmetry.  The Sref is for half wing.
CL = 0.55, CDtot =  0.03

Next, I set the geometry to symmetry X-Z (full model), no symmetry in the solver.
The Sref is for full wing.
CL = 0.275, CDtot = 0.015

Now obviously, there is a factor of 2 delta between the two solutions.
Is this intended behavior? or should the half model forces be decreased by 2?

- Daniel

Rob McDonald

Oct 11, 2021, 2:58:49 PM10/11/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I think when you tell VSPAERO to do a half model, it takes care of the *2 for you.

I.e. you should still tell VSPAERO the Sref of the entire configuration -- not the half configuration.

Rob