Issue / weird behaviour when using TE Closure on blended sections.

27 views
Skip to first unread message

David Clemens

unread,
Oct 3, 2026, 10:25:45 AM (5 days ago) Oct 3
to OpenVSP
Hello! 

I have an issue when using TE Closure in the Modify tab on blended sections. 

When blending is applied to the leading edge of this section, like making the LE curved and then using TE Closure to increase the thickness of the TE, it will cause the TE thickness to balloon weirdly but only on the section where blending was used. (See picture.) Is there a way to fix this issue? 

I also attached a VSP file where I reconstructed the issue. 

Screenshot 2026-10-03 081944.png
testwing1.vsp3

David Clemens

unread,
Oct 5, 2026, 10:16:15 AM (3 days ago) Oct 5
to OpenVSP
I tried using custom airfoils with a TE gap built in, and it gives me the same results as using the built-in TE Closure modify.

I'm not sure what else to try now. Any help would be appreciated!

Rob McDonald

unread,
Oct 5, 2026, 10:20:27 AM (3 days ago) Oct 5
to OpenVSP
There isn't really a solution at this time.

OpenVSP must interpolate the airfoils across a blended region.  It does the interpolation in a frame where the airfoils have  unit chord.  So, in that scale, the t/c of the root/tip airfoils of that blended section are very different.

OpenVSP basically creates intermediate airfoils with linearly varying t/c of the blunt trailing edge.  When those get lofted, the chord varies in a nonlinear way -- and so your dimensional thickness of the blunt te varies as it does.

Rob
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages