about vspscript

Abhinag V

May 7, 2017, 7:17:55 PM5/7/17
to OpenVSP
HI,

I am new to openvsp. Can anyone tell me about vspscript how it can be used and how to open it?

Thank you
Regards,
Abhinag

Rob McDonald

May 7, 2017, 7:56:20 PM5/7/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
vspscript is a graphics-free executable used for running script files
in a non-interactive batch mode. The same scripts can be executed by
the normal vsp executable, but on some high performance computers,
there are reasons to use vspscript instead.

To run vspscript from the command line and see what it can do,

vspscript --help

Typical use is to execute a script (examples distributed in the
scripts directory)

vspscript -script blah.vspscript

Rob

Abhinag V

May 7, 2017, 8:25:40 PM5/7/17
to OpenVSP

Is it like a programming console which can be run with or without vsp's graphical user interface?
Then, can I interface vsp with any other programming language?

Abhinag

Rob McDonald

May 7, 2017, 8:40:02 PM5/7/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
It is not an interactive console that you can type commands and get a
response. It is an intrepreter for the vspscript language. That
language is AngelScript with the VSP API on top of it. AngelScript is
a C++-like language that was designed to be embedded as a scripting
language in C++ programs.

You can access the VSP API via other programming languages (C++, Java,
Python, Matlab, etc). Directly for C++ and others by using Swig, a
'wrapper generator' that wraps the C++ API with what is needed to
interface to the scripting language of choice.

Using the built-in vspscript is easiest because you don't have to
compile anything at all. Just write your script and go.

Using the C++ API or a Swig-generated wrapper requires that you set up
the build system to compile OpenVSP yourself (not trivial) and then
get it connected to the interpreter you have installed on your
computer.

If this is a quick one-off project, then vspscript is obviously the
way to go. If you are trying to integrate OpenVSP tightly into a
substantial framework that is already developed in another language
(say Python) and this is going to be used a lot -- then it may be
worth the effort to build the wrappers needed for your environment.

Rob