Unit issues about VSPAERO Advanced Flow Conditions Module

Eric Cheng

Sep 11, 2021, 9:57:17 AM9/11/21
to OpenVSP
Hi everyone!
I have some questions when using VSPAERO.
My software version is 3.24.

 I would like to ask what are the units of velocity(Vinf、VRef) and density(Rho)  in the advanced flow conditions in the screenshot below? Is it inches per second or miles per hour or meters per second? What about the unit of density? Is it the International Standard System of Units?

I'll wait an answer for you guys thanks!
微信图片_20210911212832.png

Rob McDonald

Sep 11, 2021, 2:24:25 PM9/11/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com
OpenVSP itself is dimensionless -- whatever you use for length units is your own interpretation.

VSPAERO needs these quantities in a consistent system.  So, if your length units are feet, then velocity should be ft/sec.  If your length units are meters, then m/s, etc.

Density should be in a system (mass/len^3) that works with F=m*a -- force=mass*length/time^2 consistently.  For ft, this is slug/ft^3.  For m, this is kg/m^3.

If you're using inches or anything else, it gets messy.

Rob

Eric Cheng

Sep 11, 2021, 11:20:42 PM9/11/21
to OpenVSP
Rob, first of all, thank you very much for your patient answer, what I still want to know is:

How can I set or change my length unit?
 Because I want to know what type of my length unit is. Is it feet, inches or meters?

I'll wait an answer for you guys thanks!

Rob McDonald

Sep 12, 2021, 1:24:34 AM9/12/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com
There is no setting, OpenVSP sets units through mind reading.  Think about your model.  Lets say your wingspan is 10.  If you think your span is 10 m, then the length units are in m.

Once you've thought about your model in meters, then you should set the Velocity to m/s and the density in kg/m^3.

Of course, I would never think in meters.  My mind just couldn't take it.  So instead I would think my model had a span of 10 ft.  OpenVSP would read my mind and I would then set my velocity in ft/s and my density in slug/ft^3.

Rob

Eric Cheng

Sep 12, 2021, 2:31:40 AM9/12/21
to OpenVSP
Oh, I finally understand, thank you very much, Rob