Slashdot | FOSS CAD and 3D Modeling Software for OpenLuna?

Paul D. Fernhout

Jan 31, 2010, 9:12:22 PM1/31/10
to Open Manufacturing, OpenVirgle
A story just showing up on slashdot:
http://ask.slashdot.org/story/10/01/31/2327234/FOSS-CAD-and-3D-Modeling-Software
"""
"I work at a privately funded, open source, manned, return to the moon
mission � Yes really, and Yes, we really are going to put man (and woman)
back on the moon. Since we are open source, we want all of our tools to be,
too. What we are looking for is CAD software that we can feed into Blender
(or the like) to do 3D modeling with. Many of the engineers have tried
working with Blender and Art of Illusion, but have not been pleased. They
want to just draw the parts, then feed them to the art people who will run
them through the 3D modelers for videos, illustrations and such. What is
your preference?"
"""
http://www.openluna.org/

Currently slashdotted; cache at:
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:pEhX4wxjJcQJ:www.openluna.org/team.php+/search%3Fhl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26q%3D%2Bsite:www.openluna.org%2Bopenluna&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

An interesting comment there:
http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1531702&cid=30975688

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/
====
The biggest challenge of the 21st century is the irony of technologies of
abundance in the hands of those thinking in terms of scarcity.

Bryan Bishop

Jan 31, 2010, 10:03:48 PM1/31/10
to openvirgle, kan...@gmail.com, Open Manufacturing
On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Paul D. Fernhout wrote:
> An interesting comment there:
>  http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1531702&cid=30975688

I liked the comment that CAD is more like "visual math". I feel that
there's only going to be further confusion in the future over
Blender/AoI and the like. Maybe there should be a Blender Re-Education
Campaign?

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Paul D. Fernhout

Jan 31, 2010, 11:15:15 PM1/31/10
to openv...@googlegroups.com
Bryan Bishop wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Paul D. Fernhout wrote:
>> An interesting comment there:
>> http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1531702&cid=30975688
>
> I liked the comment that CAD is more like "visual math". I feel that
> there's only going to be further confusion in the future over
> Blender/AoI and the like. Maybe there should be a Blender Re-Education
> Campaign?

Good point.

My own reply to that just now:
"Going beyond CAD to simulation"