Can you have a non-frustum grid with non-uniform voxel size?

chris golchert

Sep 27, 2020, 8:15:37 PM9/27/20
to OpenVDB Forum
Not sure if I'm missing it, can I have a 1.0 x 2.0 x 1.0 voxel size or would this just be handled with 1.0 x 0.5 x 1.0 grid transformed to a 1^3?

edward

Sep 27, 2020, 10:20:35 PM9/27/20
to OpenVDB Forum
Hi Chris,

Voxel sizes in OpenVDB grids are purely defined in terms of its transform which converts between "index" space (the indices into the grid itself) and "world" space. So to have a 1x2x1 voxel size, that's simply a scale transform with the scale vector (1,2,1).

A key aspect of OpenVDB is that it doesn't have "dimensions" per se, you can index into using virtually any integer index that you want (subject to representation limits). So it doesn't really make sense to even think about a "1.0 x 0.5 x 1.0" grid.

See also:

Cheers,
-Edward