Jeroen van Warmerdam

Nov 16, 2013, 10:08:11 AM11/16/13
to openu...@googlegroups.com
The following product have been purchased/used:
  • Domain
  • SSL => paid $ XXX per XXX by Sizzle
  • Hosting => Nodejitsu, free
    • To support SSL we need a Business Plan at minimum of $ 48 per month.
  • Source control => Github, free
  • Development => Open source

So do we need ads to raise money or do we depend on donations?

Watilin

Nov 16, 2013, 1:59:41 PM11/16/13
to openu...@googlegroups.com
From an objective point of view, I'd say we need both. However I'm rather picky about ads, and I suggest we carefully choose our sponsors. These criteria seem fine to me.

Sizzle McTwizzle

Nov 16, 2013, 5:47:30 PM11/16/13
to openu...@googlegroups.com
I pay for both domains (i.e. .org & .com) and I'm happy to do so. I'm not crazy about paying for the certificate since it was $79. I vote that we turn off ads by default for logged in users (and they can turn them back on from their settings page (/user/edit).

Ryan Chatham

Nov 16, 2013, 8:43:20 PM11/16/13
to Sizzle McTwizzle, openu...@googlegroups.com
I think both options should be available at some point, especially in the case that sizzle mentioned--ads off by default for logged in users. Ads should be acceptable, most notably no large "Download" ad right below the install button--that's just not cool. In the case of donations, I would suggest that we make it very clear what they are used for so people won't get confused as to where their money is going and what to expect when they donate.

Ryan Chatham

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Sizzle McTwizzle <sizzlem...@gmail.com> wrote:
I pay for both domains (i.e. .org & .com) and I'm happy to do so. I'm not crazy about paying for the certificate since it was $79. I vote that we turn off ads by default for logged in users (and they can turn them back on from their settings page (/user/edit).

Joe Simmons

Nov 16, 2013, 9:15:13 PM11/16/13
to openu...@googlegroups.com
I agree, both is the way to go.