Capstone Project

Sizzle McTwizzle

Nov 20, 2013, 10:42:24 PM11/20/13
to openu...@googlegroups.com
So I'm finishing my bachelors in CS next semester and my university has this required course called Capstone where you choose a project and complete it for the grade. I contacted my professor for the course and got the green light to make openuserjs my project. This means that I'll basically be able to work on this project full-time beginning in January.

Joe Simmons

Nov 21, 2013, 12:15:35 AM11/21/13
to openu...@googlegroups.com
That's awesome, bro :)

Jeroen van Warmerdam

Nov 21, 2013, 7:00:25 AM11/21/13
to openu...@googlegroups.com
That's awesome. In February I'm also starting my graduation internship of my bachelors in IT. I have to do a research assignment, so openuserjs is not even possible. Hope you can succeed both.

Jeroen Van Warmerdam

Feb 2, 2014, 11:14:14 AM2/2/14
to openu...@googlegroups.com
So what's happing to openuserjs? Are you working on it from school?

Sizzle McTwizzle

Feb 3, 2014, 1:26:46 PM2/3/14
to openu...@googlegroups.com
Yes, myself and another student are currently in the planning stage of what we are going to implement this semester. As soon as we get done with some required paperwork, we'll continue development on the site. I just posted our first two documents to the GitHub wiki and I will do the same with any other documents we produce so that everything happens out in the open. Our professor is really keen on us using a documentation generating program like JavaDocs for our code. Does anyone know of something good for JavaScript? It would be great if the tool generated markdown so that we could just dump the output into the project wiki.

DoctorSnowman

Feb 3, 2014, 2:01:54 PM2/3/14
to openu...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I am the student working with Sizzle on our school Capstone project. I will be focused primarily on the front-end design, working mostly in HTML+CSS and developing mockups using Balsamiq.

Jeroen Van Warmerdam

Feb 3, 2014, 2:02:49 PM2/3/14
to openu...@googlegroups.com
Great to see development starting soon.

My only question is how you guys would handle commits (or pull requests) from other collaborators/members of the project?

I've tried YUIDoc before to generate documentation from JavaScript comments and I've used express-markdown to render markdown files. But never tried to combine them.

DoctorSnowman

Feb 3, 2014, 2:13:41 PM2/3/14
to openu...@googlegroups.com
YUIDoc looks good to me. Instead of translating it to markdown could we just place it at "docs.openuserjs.org" (or however people want to format it) and then have the wiki just link to it? We could have YOIDoc automatically run on site code updates and the documentation would maintain currency.

Sizzle McTwizzle

Feb 3, 2014, 3:51:52 PM2/3/14
to openu...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, February 3, 2014 1:02:49 PM UTC-6, Jeroen Van Warmerdam wrote:

My only question is how you guys would handle commits (or pull requests) from other collaborators/members of the project?

Commits and pull requests from anyone are always welcome. For small improvements, just do a merge yourself. If it's a pull request that resolves an existing issue, then someone (other than the person who issued the request and ideally the person assigned to the issue) needs to review the change and pull it. If someone disagrees with the change, then there can be discussion. In general, don't write code without creating an issue first. And if it's something large that you're unsure of, discuss it on list before creating the issue. On any existing issues or any of our plans, opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

On Monday, February 3, 2014 1:13:41 PM UTC-6, DoctorSnowman wrote:
YUIDoc looks good to me. Instead of translating it to markdown could we just place it at  "docs.openuserjs.org" (or however people want to format it) and then have the wiki just link to it? We could have YOIDoc automatically run on site code updates and the documentation would maintain currency.

I really don't want to mess with subdomains. They're kind of a pain in Node.js. We could use GitHub pages to host the documentation. I just created a repo for it just in case we go this route.

Jeroen Van Warmerdam

Mar 5, 2014, 3:58:26 AM3/5/14
to openu...@googlegroups.com
Is there already some prototype design available?

DoctorSnowman

Mar 7, 2014, 6:06:27 PM3/7/14
to openu...@googlegroups.com
Yes, we have a prototype. It has received some changes since its design and does not represent the whole site, so I did not feel the mockup to be ready yet for release. Sizzle has encouraged me to focus on the actual HTML page given my currently limited available time so the mockup is unfinished. I am focusing now on the basic site needs (home page, login, scripts, then profile). That said, attached is a rough mockup of the home page. It is black and white but the basic arrangement of elements is representative of the intended final product.
OUJS-home.pdf