Tornado Framework?

Jesse Stay

Dec 20, 2009, 2:41:24 AM12/20/09
to opent...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking a lot about how we would structure a "Twitter-compatible Gateway" (we need to figure out what we're calling this).  From what I know of the Tornado Framework (http://www.tornadoweb.org/), it would support a pollable, real-time API (the output) with multiple types of sources (the input).  It's in Python, so could easily be plugged into an AppEngine instance if needed (I hear there might be some issues, but maybe those have been worked out?).  It would seem like Tornado is almost already there, but I haven't looked that thoroughly into it yet.

What do you guys think?  Is there any other framework that may work better for this?

Jesse Stay

Matt Terenzio

Dec 20, 2009, 3:18:56 AM12/20/09
to OpenTwitter
One of the main hurdles is a platform that can handle many persistent
concurrent connections, which is why something like Tornado works
better than a typical LAMP setup which is great at handling tons of
short-lived requests. There are other solutions as well. Multi-
threaded Java servers have been shown to work if you know what you are
doing. Or Fast-CGI with a web server that can handle lots of
concurrent connections, like lighttpd.