unoptimized routing

Tony S.

Apr 18, 2022, 6:08:38 AM4/18/22
to OpenTripPlanner Users
Hello, I've set waitReluctance=0, walkReluctance=0, flexRouting=true. The result in the graph below seems very incoherent to me because there's a clear travel back that must be avoid. Can someone explain me this behavior and a suitable correction based on your experience, thank you very much!
Schermata 2022-04-18 alle 11.51.51.png

Leonard Ehrenfried

Apr 18, 2022, 2:45:29 PM4/18/22
to opentrippl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Things I would try:

- check that the stops in Ragusa are linked correctly to the street network. They might be "islands" and are inaccessible by foot. The debug layers will help with this.

- increase walkReluctance since the transfer in Ragusa involves less walking.

- check "Show filtered itineraries" and see if your desired one shows up there. If it does, check why it was filtered out.

Hope this helps.
On Mon, 18 Apr 2022, at 12:08, Tony S. wrote:
Hello, I've set waitReluctance=0, walkReluctance=0, flexRouting=true. The result in the graph below seems very incoherent to me because there's a clear travel back that must be avoid. Can someone explain me this behavior and a suitable correction based on your experience, thank you very much!
Schermata 2022-04-18 alle 11.51.51.png

Tony S.

Apr 18, 2022, 5:56:45 PM4/18/22
to OpenTripPlanner Users
Thank you Leonard. Actually the train station in Ragusa wasn't connected to the street network.

Bye

Daniel Birch-Smith

Apr 27, 2022, 10:28:04 PM4/27/22
to OpenTripPlanner Users
I think I may have a similar issue in a different area. OTP cannot find a walking route between these two points (-34.94382, 138.58314) (-34.94181, 138.58156).

Screenshot 2022-04-28 115309.png

What would be best practice to link the platform to the paths in OSM?
I feel like it should be able to route from the bottom of the stairs, but what am I missing?
Thanks,

Leonard Ehrenfried

Apr 28, 2022, 3:31:58 AM4/28/22
to opentrippl...@googlegroups.com
I took a look and yes, the stairs (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/263050733) are not connected to the platform and therefore are a dead end.

The stairs need to "touch" the platform for routing engines to know that you can walk there. I've found an example of how to do it here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/302728886

Hint: if you want to debug connectivity problems, turn on the traversal permission layer in the layer switcher on the top right.

Hope this helps.

Daniel Birch-Smith

Apr 28, 2022, 4:17:23 AM4/28/22
to OpenTripPlanner Users
Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. I'm sure that will fix the problem when I can get a new OSM download.
For the benefit of others reading this in the future, you can turn on the debug layers following the instructions here (https://docs.opentripplanner.org/en/latest/Troubleshooting-Routing/#debug-layers).
Is there an easy way to look at all potential problems like this across the whole map? I noticed the following output - does IsolatedStop relate to this problem, and is there a way to get more details?
Screenshot 2022-04-28 174658.png

Leonard Ehrenfried

Apr 28, 2022, 4:26:02 AM4/28/22
to opentrippl...@googlegroups.com
If you configure the dataImportReport (see http://docs.opentripplanner.org/en/dev-2.x/BuildConfiguration/) you will get HTML output with all the issues found.

It takes a little practise so understand what the problem is but the information is all there.

--
  Leonard Ehrenfried