Best way to avoid bike routing in alleys

Mark Stosberg

May 4, 2021, 12:59:22 PM5/4/21
to OpenTripPlanner Users
Alleys can have poor visibility at intersections are more likely to have broken glass-- they are often not a good choice for routing bike trips.

Docs recommended adding the `bicycle=discouraged` tag ( https://docs.opentripplanner.org/en/latest/Configuration/ ) as an option, but in four cities I queried, this is rarely used.

From reading "DefaultWayPropertySetSource.java", it appears that routing on ways with highway=service;service=alley is allowed:

What's the recommended way to avoid having bike trips routed in alleys?

This reference reminds us that some cities have city code that alleys are not to be used as throughfares, so perhaps it's generally not a good idea to use alleys for routing anyway?

Thanks,

     Mark

Leonard Ehrenfried

May 5, 2021, 3:08:53 AM5/5/21
to opentrippl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

If you can identify a set of OSM tags that you'd like to avoid you can create your own WayPropertySetSource and either give those alleyways a really bad safety score, leading them to be chosen only as a last resort, or outright ban them by setting the traversal permissions to pedestrian only.

A less clean way would be to modify the DefaultPropertySetSource to do the same.

By the way, OTP is looking for contributors from the US to maintain a US way property set source:

Background: right now all of the active OTP(2) developers are European and it's possible that decisions that affect routing in the US will be overlooked.

Best
--
  Leonard Ehrenfried

Mark Stosberg

May 13, 2021, 3:58:38 PM5/13/21
to OpenTripPlanner Users
Leonard,

Thanks for the reply. Is there a file currently that contains US-specific exceptions that we could submit a patch to?

      Mark

Leonard Ehrenfried

May 13, 2021, 5:30:17 PM5/13/21
to opentrippl...@googlegroups.com
Since that part of OTP was developed mainly in Portland the default is already quite US-specific. My gut feeling is that it hasn't been updated all that much in last few years.

If you'd like to contribute a US one, you could take inspiration from the one for Germany that I maintain:

Even creating a new one with just the alleyway exception would already be an acceptable start, which could lead to more fine-tuning further down the road.

All the best.
--
  Leonard Ehrenfried