OTP returns three identical itineraries

u...@allryder.com

Apr 21, 2015, 12:36:28 PM4/21/15
to opentrippl...@googlegroups.com
OpenTripPlanner returns for TRANSIT three itineraries. If the distance between the two locations is too shorts it returns a walking route. The problem is that the three returned walking itineraries are identical. Is there a a parameter I can set so OTP returns only one walking route?

Thanks,

Uli

andrew byrd

Apr 21, 2015, 2:16:03 PM4/21/15
to opentrippl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

OTP is unable to find alternate walking routes, so we usually return only one walking route when the mode is actually set to "walk". However when the mode is set to "transit" it's possible that walking is easier/faster than any transit option, in which case it will still try three times and get three identical walking itineraries.

It would be easy to check for this case and stop searching if the first transit itinerary is in fact a walking itinerary. I have created an issue for this (#1894).

-Andrew

Ulrich Strötz

Apr 21, 2015, 2:45:49 PM4/21/15
to andrew byrd, opentrippl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andrew! Sounds good.

Uli

Johan Nilsson

Apr 22, 2015, 11:49:33 AM4/22/15
to opentrippl...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to add that we've seen this for transit alternatives too. E.g. three results but the last two are identical, so not exclusive for walk. Before when not running with long distance flag IIRC this wasn't the case for either walk or transit.

Cheers!
Johan

andrew byrd

Apr 22, 2015, 3:44:08 PM4/22/15
to opentrippl...@googlegroups.com
Do you actually get the exact same transit itinerary three times, or just the same series of routes at different times? If it's really the best option sometimes you'll get the same route sequence multiple times.

-Andrew

Johan Nilsson

Apr 22, 2015, 4:06:43 PM4/22/15
to opentrippl...@googlegroups.com

Only seen two out of three being the exact same time & itinerary. This is quite rare though, when it happens it always been the last two that's identical.

Thanks!
Johan

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "OpenTripPlanner Users" group.

Ulrich Strötz

Apr 22, 2015, 4:08:12 PM4/22/15
to Johan Nilsson, opentrippl...@googlegroups.com
In my case it was actually three identical walking routes at the same time.

Uli

Johan Nilsson

Apr 22, 2015, 4:23:19 PM4/22/15
to opentrippl...@googlegroups.com

Yes, we have identical walk routes too. It's not always just three though, I can e.g. get bus as the first suggestion followed by two identical walk routes as well.

Just wanted to add our observation we've seen on some results if it could be related somehow.

Cheers!
Johan