FYI Status Transfers/Interchanges in OTP2

t2g...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2021, 9:13:37 AM6/29/21
to OpenTripPlanner Users
Hi,

there are a few issues and PRs regarding interchanges. I would like to inform everyone on the status of the development of support for transfers.txt(GTFS) and Interchanges(NeTEx) here, instead of replaying to all the issues and PRs.

There is still a bit of work to do here, and we are still working on it, it is a high priority for Entur.  I would like to complete most of it before we make a 2.1 release, but it have taken a lot more time than expected. I do not want to rush the, we need to do a proper job.

So, I have one PR currently in review. In this PR there is a description of the "new" optimize transfers - not that this is not the main thing, it is rater a supplement to handling the transfers properly in routing. See https://github.com/opentripplanner/OpenTripPlanner/blob/0a74b292ec3a6f689c3b5725e5be79b5f9b6d1e9/src/main/java/org/opentripplanner/routing/algorithm/transferoptimization/package.md for a description of this feature in detail (design doc for developers).

Implemented
  • Support for guaranteed and stay-seated transfers between two trips at a/two given stop(s). So, this support the GTFS extension, but not the stop-stop guaranteed transfers.
  • Transfer priority (transfer optimization). This rank transfers an enforce a transfers to happen at a given location, it is done as a post process step and do not give this path any cost benefit compared with oter paths.
  • Optimize transfer wait time. This is just trying to find the best place to transfer for a given path. Instead of minimizing wait time (transit routing) it maximize the wait time (balancing it against generalized-cost (e.g. walking)).
  • Stop priority (NeTEx). I mention this because is is related to the stop-to-stop priority in GTFS.
Let to implement
  • Using GTFS transfers.txt it is possible to set the min_transfer_time with transfer_type = 2. See issue #3369
  • The NeTEx Interchange MaximumWaitTime is ignored.
  • Transfer not-allowed at location. See issue #3505.
  • Support for Trip matching when only Route is specified in transfers.txt. See issue #3429
  • Add support for refused cost for guaranteed interchange. See issue #3478

Transfers between stops, route and trip

In the Nordic NeTEx profile we do not have support for transfers between stops, only between two ServiceJourneies. But, in GTFS transfers between stops are the standard, and transfers between trips is an extension. The stop-to-stop cases require different solutions. We will do over best to support all these different cases.