Implementaion of GBFS v2.1-RC geofencing zones

Tobias Walter

Feb 4, 2021, 8:51:23 AM2/4/21
to OpenTripPlanner Developers

Hello OTP-Developers,
by considering the documentation of GBFS v2.1-RC, I was wondering , if there is any plan to implement features to support features like geofencing zones. Me and my company would be really interested in using such features to provide zones, so that dockless ranted bikes could be dropped off in this zones without any bike-station.

Is there any plan to implement this features, or are there some guys already working for such features?

documentation of GTFS: https://github.com/NABSA/gbfs/blob/master/gbfs.md#geofencing_zonesjson-added-in-v21-rc

I am looking forward to get any response.
Greetings Tobias

Tom Erik Støwer

Feb 6, 2021, 4:13:00 AM2/6/21
to OpenTripPlanner Developers
Hi!

Entur has implemented partial support for GBFS v2.1-RC in OTP v2. For now limited support for docked city bikes. Wider support including geofencing is on the roadmap.

Kind regards,

Tom Erik Støwer
Entur AS

Tobias Walter

Feb 8, 2021, 4:26:16 AM2/8/21
to OpenTripPlanner Developers
Hi Tom,
thanks for your answer.
That sounds really good.
Is there any public roadmap, where everyone can watch the current status?
I just found this: https://github.com/orgs/opentripplanner/projects/1
But I could not found any issue considering geofencing.

Best regards Tobias

Thomas Gran

Feb 15, 2021, 11:42:58 AM2/15/21
to OpenTripPlanner Developers
I think Tom Erik Støwer is referring to the Entur raodmap, not OTPs road map. The https://github.com/orgs/opentripplanner/projects/1 has not been updated lately for OTP2. I try to keep the milestone tags up to date. But be aware that not all of the features tagged with 2.1 is going to make it into the 2.1 release. When we get closer to the release we will go over all issues tagged with 2.1, and decide witch one will be included or not.

Thomas

Tobias Walter

Apr 20, 2022, 1:11:27 PM4/20/22
to OpenTripPlanner Developers
One more question, as I'm not sure I've got it right.

The OTP 2.1 release added support for requesting GBFS 2.2 Feeds. https://github.com/opentripplanner/OpenTripPlanner/releases/tag/v2.1.0
OTP 2.1 also handles floating bikes, but there is no such feature, which allows it, to use the geofencing_zones to force, that a vehicle will be dropped off, as far as the driver leaves a zone, in which he is allowed to drop off.
Have I understood this correctly?
At least on my test, it didn't work that way. But it may be, that I configured something wrong.

Thank you for your work and answers.
Tobias

Leonard Ehrenfried

Apr 20, 2022, 1:31:06 PM4/20/22
to Opentripplanner Developers
GBFS geofencing zones are not implemented yet.

If you'd like to contribute that (or sponsor someone who will) I think I will be reviewed (and merged) quite quickly.

--
  Leonard Ehrenfried