OTP v2.1 Release

Andrew Byrd

Mar 18, 2022, 4:10:14 AM3/18/22
to opentripplanner-dev, opentrippl...@googlegroups.com
Hello OTP users and developers,

We're happy to announce the release of OpenTripPlanner 2.1. This is the biggest OTP release ever by many metrics: not just the amount of code changes or issues addressed, but also the number of active contributors. It is the first major update to the 2.0 release and represents over a year of continuous collaboration between many international organizations.

Notable changes include:
- GBFS 2.2 is supported including "form factors" (bike, scooter, car) and floating vehicles (with no fixed station)
- Constrained Transfers (Netex interchanges / GTFS transfers.txt)
- Transfers for bicycle and wheelchair users distinct from walking paths
- Support for GTFS-Flex v2
- Support for frequency-based trips (GTFS frequencies.txt, does not exist in Netex)
- Many 1.5 features not fully implemented in 2.0 have been reintroduced
- Improved result quality relative to both 1.5 and 2.0: filtering of itineraries and selection of transfer points between routes
- Car and bicycle parking has been combined into vehicle parking (enhanced with real-time details like remaining parking spaces)
- New system for paging of routing results via cursor token
- Response times should be roughly stable since 2.0. Performance much improved over OTP1 for long searches, may be somewhat slower for short searches. Extremely dependent on data set used, so test on your specific data.
- System integration tests for ongoing performance measurement

The release page is at https://github.com/opentripplanner/OpenTripPlanner/releases/tag/v2.1.0 where you can download a shaded JAR file. Unfortunately due to some dependency updates that JAR is larger than it used to be - we'll see if we can reduce this size in the next release.

The release is also available on Maven Central at https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/opentripplanner/otp/2.1.0/

The main documentation is available at http://docs.opentripplanner.org/en/latest/

Please let us know if you encounter any problems.

Thanks,
Andrew