Deployment and operation of open source trip planer for schedule and realtime data

Stefan

May 13, 2021, 9:42:05 AM5/13/21
to opentripp...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

How are you doing? I am new to open source software for public
transport. However, I would like to deploy and operate a production
system for trip planing with schedule and realtime data. I have studied
many projects but still feel lost for a detailed documentation on how to
deploy and operate an open source trip planer for schedule and realtime
data. I find pieces of the puzzle here and there. However, so far
nothing fits together to reach my goal. I am missing the whole picture.

That is why I would like to throw some general questions into the pool
in the hope for advice.

(1) Does anyone have advise how to start? (There are enough schedule and
realtime feeds out there and I also managed to instantiate
OpenTripPlaner. However, I have the feeling that the default web client
is not user friendly and convenient enough to present it to customers.)

(2) What platform shall I use (OneBusAway, OpenTripPlaner, Digitransit
or any other)? (I learned about several platforms but do not know the
pros and cons.)

(3) How shall I deploy (some platforms use Docker)? (Running a local
instance is not the same as an always available web service for customers.)

(4) What shall I deploy (some platforms have different versions like OTP
v1 and OTP v2)?

(5) How shall I operate and maintain (update schedule data periodically)?

I appreciate every advice.

Cheers!

--
Stefan Begerad
Software Engineer

Fon US: +1 443 518 8511
Fon DE: +49 174 85 11 770
Mail: dia...@begerad.de
Internet: www.begerad.de

Dede Realtime Map: www.dedriver.org

Thomas Gran

Jun 1, 2021, 1:43:54 PM6/1/21
to OpenTripPlanner Developers
I have created an issue for adding OTP Ecosystem documentation, this was also discussed at the PLC meeting today.

1) I do not recommend using the bundled client for end users(we use it for debugging). Try the Digitransit client, there are also a few other option, but I am not familiar with any of them.
2), 3) Sart as simple you can and add stuff as you go. Automate if possible. This really depend on your situation, knowledge and requirements. If you know Docker++, then use it if not I think it is easier to start without it.
4) Start with OTP v2, if there are features in OTP1 you need, then use OTP1. See http://docs.opentripplanner.org/en/latest/Version-Comparison/
5) I recommend setting up a data pipeline - a few scripts to download and build graphs and a scrip to deploy it. There are tools for this, but unless you have experience in using them I would start with some basic scripts. OTP2 support relative file urls and Google Cloud Storage, which eliminate the need of bundeling the data with you OTP JourneyPlanner instances. http://docs.opentripplanner.org/en/latest/Configuration/#storage

Thomas

Stefan

Jun 2, 2021, 11:31:08 AM6/2/21
to Thomas Gran, OpenTripPlanner Developers

Hi there,

Thank you very much for the helpful answer.

Does anyone know how to deploy Digitransit UI without docker? From other projects working with Javascript and Webpack I learned to run a build script that created a directory containing all static data necessary to deploy a UI on any server. I could then copy that directory onto a server to be served by Apache web server using a dedicated virtual host. Can I do the same with Digitransit UI?

How do you guys deploy Digitransit UI for OpenTripPlaner on a production system with public availability?

I appreciate any hint pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers!

lapp...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2021, 7:47:29 AM6/3/21
to OpenTripPlanner Developers
It's possible to use the digitransit-ui without docker but we use node for serving the assets (it's possible to configure the UI to direct the clients to download the assets through an external endpoint like a cdn but at least in our context we use the node server behind the cdn). Not sure how easy it would be to serve them from some other web server. You can create an issue in https://github.com/HSLdevcom/digitransit-ui/issues for guidance on using/deploying the digitransit-ui.

-Joel