Hungarian translation

Gábor Babos

Jan 30, 2022, 10:42:20 AM1/30/22
to OpenTripPlanner Developers
Dear All,

I am working on the Hungarian translation of OTP and had some questions.
  • I found this file that is perfect for a translation. Is there anything else that should be translated to have a fully fledged Hungarian speaking OTP?
  • Where can I see OTP in work? It would be quite useful sometime to see in real life what I actually translated.
  • Plus a disclaimer: I can't code. This means that I can translate whatever files but can't make forks and such like things.

Thanks in advance

Gábor Babos

Thomas Craig

Jan 30, 2022, 10:53:35 AM1/30/22
to OpenTripPlanner Developers
Hi Gábor,

Thanks for working with OpenTripPlanner! OTP requires set up and hosting in a local area, so there's no one place where you can see it work, but a couple websites that use OTP: https://www.hsl.fi/?fromJourneyPlanner=true and https://entur.no/

I'm also not a coder, so I can't provide specific direction on how to move forward, but I found these past issues/Pull requests in github that involve past translations which might be useful places to start for examples of what other people did to provide translations in Greek and German:

Andrew Byrd

Feb 15, 2022, 9:44:08 AM2/15/22
to Gábor Babos, opentripplanner-dev
Hi Gabór,

I just wanted to clarify that the OTP client in the src/client directory has not been updated much recently, and is not used in production by most of the larger OTP contributors and deployments. A lot of current contributors refer to this as the "debug client" which is conveniently bundled with the OTP API server, but not used in their public deployments.

Therefore it's possible that contributions to this client would mostly be seen by developers and small test deployments of OTP, and might not appear in public deployments. You are of course still welcome to work on translations, but just be aware of the usual use case of this client.

Many public OTP deployments use other frontends such as https://github.com/opentripplanner/otp-ui or https://github.com/HSLdevcom/digitransit-ui.

I'm not sure which UI projects support internationalization, but at least Digitransit seems to have several languages covered in https://github.com/HSLdevcom/digitransit-ui/blob/v2/app/translations.js

Regards,
Andrew

Thomas Gran

Feb 21, 2022, 4:02:56 AM2/21/22
to OpenTripPlanner Developers
We discussed the future of the "OTP Debug client" last week, we decided:
  • We will keep it, not replace it.
  • We will change it so it is clear that it is not ment for production, but for testing and demonstration.
  • We will keep the multi-language support, witch is nice when using it for demoes.
  • We want to change it so it uses the new GraphQL API as early as possible
  • We will want to use the Vector-tiles to view stop and stations. We will also move the vector-tiles API into core OTP, from the Sandbox where it is now.
As @abyrd mentioned, we recommend using the digitransit-ui, otp-ui and/or otp-react-redux. We might also use these libs (otp-ui) in the Debug Client as well.

Thomas