OpenTripPlanner v2.2 Release

Andrew Byrd

Nov 4, 2022, 8:38:38 AM11/4/22
to opentripplanner-dev, opentrippl...@googlegroups.com
Hello OTP users and developers,

The OpenTripPlanner development team is happy announce the release of OpenTripPlanner 2.2.

It has been great to see both the pace of development and the number of contributing organizations steadily increase. We noted that the previous release back in March 2022 was the biggest OTP release by many different metrics. This is again the case for 2.2, which represents an even larger body of work resulting from seven months of close collaboration between many international organizations.

Notable changes (among many others in the changelog) include:
- Trip search performance improved by ~20-30%
- Support for GTFS-RT Vehicle Positions
- Support for NeTex DatedServiceJourneys
- Cost-based wheelchair-accessible routing
- Improved stop linking by taking OSM platform polygons into account
- OCI container image on DockerHub
- Reintroduced block-based interlining
- Added walk safety to street routing
- Experimental support for GTFS Fares V2
- Support for HTTPS data sources during graph building
- Metrics for realtime trip updaters
- Configuration documentation generated programmatically

The release page is at https://github.com/opentripplanner/OpenTripPlanner/releases/tag/v2.2.0
There you can download a "shaded" JAR file (containing all dependencies needed to run).
The release is also available on Maven Central at https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/opentripplanner/otp/2.2.0/

The main documentation is available at http://docs.opentripplanner.org/en/latest/

Please let us know if you encounter any problems or have any other feedback.

Thanks,
Andrew

Stefan de Konink

Nov 4, 2022, 8:45:56 AM11/4/22
to opentripp...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, November 4, 2022 1:38:30 PM CET, Andrew Byrd wrote:
> - Support for NeTex DatedServiceJourneys

^^^ The proposal by Entur?

--
Stefan

Andrew Byrd

Nov 4, 2022, 11:57:20 PM11/4/22
to Stefan de Konink, opentripp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefan,

The list of Notable Changes in the release announcement is derived from commit messages on items selected from the full changelog in a short review by three people, so I don’t know the details of some items such as this one. The expression “NeTEx DatedServiceJourneys” in the commit message probably means these objects are coming from operational Nordic Profile NeTEx files, not that they are an official part of the CEN standard.

Here is the pull request this item was derived from:

I just checked and apparently discussion of DatedServiceJourneys is still ongoing. Some people want to eliminate them from the specification, but they are used in Norway.

These short “notable changes” items should not be interpreted as the OTP project advocating such specific standardization outcomes. I think the team producing NeTEx data in Norway wanted to use DatedServiceJourneys, the development team simply understood this to be a high priority for the data team, and so this was flagged as a Notable Change for one big institutional user of OTP.

As with new additions to the GTFS spec, indeed it’s probably a good idea to refer to them as “proposed NeTEx ___” or “proposed GTFS ___” when they are extensions that are not fully adopted.

-Andrew

Andrew Byrd

Nov 5, 2022, 12:12:28 AM11/5/22

On 5 Nov 2022, at 11:57, Andrew Byrd <and...@fastmail.net> wrote:
As with new additions to the GTFS spec, indeed it’s probably a good idea to refer to them as “proposed NeTEx ___” or “proposed GTFS ___” when they are extensions that are not fully adopted.

Reading the https://github.com/NeTEx-CEN/NeTEx/issues/292 discussion in more detail though, DatedServiceJourney appears to have been added to NeTEx; the proposal may not be to add it, but rather to deprecate it after it went into use in the Nordic Profile. People are advocating for or against deprecation, and for or against adjustment of Transmodel to align with current practice in Norway.

I have not been following the NeTEx standardization process closely, some of the contributors in Norway can probably provide a better account.

-Andrew

Bastian P

Nov 5, 2022, 12:13:47 AM11/5/22
to Andrew Byrd, Stefan de Konink, opentripp...@googlegroups.com