OTP2 - Update

Thomas Gran

Oct 6, 2021, 5:52:56 AM10/6/21
to OpenTripPlanner Developers
Hi,

The release of OTP 2.1 is still work in progress and we want support for before we release:
  • GTFS transfers.txt and NeTEx Interchanges (still some work left)
  • Improve and change paging support for the GraphQL APIs
  • Support for frequency based trips
We will rush this. Other PRs are of cause welcome, and there will not be any code-freeze before the above list is done. However, we encourage to wait with high risk changes. See the changelog for features added.

Several organizations are running the "latest" dev-2.x branch in production, so do not hesitate to try it out.

Today, I did some maintenance:
  • The number of approvals for the dev-2.x branch is reset back to 2 approvals, this have been handled manually for a while. But, with the increased activity we would like to enforce this.
  • The old rc-2.0 branch is deleted.

Thomas

Sean Barbeau

Oct 14, 2021, 11:36:41 AM10/14/21
to OpenTripPlanner Developers
Thomas,
That's exciting to hear about the progress! Congrats and thanks to you and everyone else working towards 2.1.

Do you have a target release date for 2.1 at this point?

We hit this issue in v2.0:

I'm trying to figure out if I should just build the current dev-2.x branch and use that to avoid this issue, or wait for a 2.1 release.

Thanks,
Sean

Sean Barbeau
Center for Urban Transportation Research
University of South Florida

Thomas Gran

Oct 21, 2021, 5:20:47 PM10/21/21
to OpenTripPlanner Developers
At Entur we try to roll out the latest release of OTP (dev-2.x) in production regularly(weekly). We keep the "next" candidate in a staging environment for at least 24 hours and if we know about any big changes we also take an hour of real requests from production and run it against the staging environment for verification.

Our next release is based on this: https://github.com/opentripplanner/OpenTripPlanner/commit/d390d0a2581ff28bd342640dd405a859025c3288

We aim to improve the unit-tests so every merged PR should be "production ready", but we are not there yet. Especially none fictional requirements are not covered well - like performance.

Thomas