jProfiler open source license

Cody Hinchliff

Mar 31, 2015, 5:30:13 PM3/31/15
to opentreeofl...@googlegroups.com
Hi software people,

jProfiler is a professional profiling tool for Java. It is very helpful for development. I am using it right now to track down a memory bug.

jProfiler is paid software, but they offer free licenses to open source projects, in exchange for said project placing a link to jProfiler on the project web page.

I would like to request a license for OpenTree. There are alternative free/open source profilers, but they are not as powerful. So, my request: can we apply for an open source license for the project? In exchange, we would need to put a link to jProfiler on the OpenTree site.

Jonathan A Rees

Apr 2, 2015, 9:14:33 PM4/2/15
to opentreeofl...@googlegroups.com
I'm not keen on bartering with SEO and advertising.

What is the project web page?

You're sure this is just a license, and not something requiring some kind of acknowledgment such as a click-through? A click-through is a contract and would have to be done by an officer of your university.

I wonder if this kind of thing is allowed under a government grant. We'd have to check the rules governing the grant. I can easily imagine that it is disallowed.

If it's not terribly expensive, I'd say buy it. If it's such a good tool they deserve the money.

Karen Cranston

Apr 2, 2015, 9:40:28 PM4/2/15
to opentreeofl...@googlegroups.com

I am fine with putting the link on the developer resources page. We could include it on a list of technologies. I don't really want it on every page (i.e. in the footer), given the importance of this particular software tool relative to other software we are using.

Karen

~ Apologies for phone-induced typos and brevity.

Cody Hinchliff

Apr 2, 2015, 11:25:52 PM4/2/15
to opentreeofl...@googlegroups.com
Putting it on the developer page seems perfectly reasonable to me.

The software has some very handy features, but costs $500. Does not really seem worth paying that if they are willing to give it away in exchange for an innocuous link. If it turns out they want something inappropriate or questionably legal I am not going to push the issue.

I have 8 days left on the trial license. It would be nice to get a permanent one before then (assuming that works out). I'm perfectly happy to fill out the request form but if someone else would feel better doing that I will abstain.

Jonathan A Rees

Apr 3, 2015, 3:14:24 PM4/3/15
to opentreeofl...@googlegroups.com
Make a PR for the opentree repo and we can review it