Production & pre-production enviroment in the same machine

Manuel Fernandez

Oct 17, 2018, 7:41:29 AM10/17/18
to opentreemap-user
Hi,

I will launch a new project with OTM and I have some question about instalation and enviroments. Predictabily, I will develop some customizations or new features, so I would need a pre-production enviroment for this purpose. It's possible (or recomendable) to do that in the same machine?

Any other recomendations for a new project will be apreciated :)

Thanks in advance

Justin Walgran

Oct 17, 2018, 8:21:53 PM10/17/18
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
The OpenTreeMap team maintains completely separate staging and production environments so that there is no chance of accidentally disturbing the production environment during the development and testing of new features. There is no technical limitation that I am aware of that would prevent you from deploying two copies of the application and dependent services on the same server, but it is not a recommended configuration.

Manuel Fernandez

Oct 18, 2018, 3:12:43 AM10/18/18
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I got it. Anyway at the moment I will deploy just one enviroment. By the way, what about minimum requirement for deployment? I will run it in a VPS.

After exploring the repository, I think that for development purposes I have to fork and work in the master branch, right?