Re: Digest for opentransact@googlegroups.com - 6 Messages in 2 Topics

Hugh Barnard

Jan 16, 2012, 3:53:41 AM1/16/12
to opentr...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks

First of all thanks to everyone who's working currently on this,
you're the giants upon whose shoulders I'll stand.

Just some general comments on the discussion, that may hopefully make
some of the controversies tidier and more manageable.

Many years ago, when dinosaurs walked the earth, I grew up with:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model, a seven layer communications
model that has since been superceded by the five layer TCP/IP model.
So, for me, many of the discussions about 'scope' are probably about
clearly defined layering.

This brings me to another point. I've had something that looks a
little like opentransact in Cclite, probably for about a couple of
years. So I'm planning to align with that when I feel that
opentransact is more tightly defined [probably with BNF, but I'm
pretty old-skool] and 'finished' [when is anything ever finished
though?!]. However, I also have gpg encrypted email payment, so that
doesn't fit quite as well into that model, for example and users are
identified/addressed in a different way too.

For me, most of the current discussion is at layer 5 [or layer 7 in
the ISO model] the application layer, but discussions about transport
and topology [especially witrh regard to peer to peer versus, for
example, exchangers or automated clearing houses] feel slightly
'further down' the stack. Hence some of the controversy about scope.

As I work mainly in the alternative/social currency field, I also feel
that some technology decisions/arrangements are not neutral with
respect to governance. For example, I'd probably want social
entrprises to be able to implement a complete stack [local currency
groups and exchangers, say, if that was a topology] even if they
choose afterwards to let someone else do the clearing house bit.

Ok that's enough from me, but as always 'rough consensus and running
code' is never a bad thing. I saw X400:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X.400 lose out to SMTP in many senses,
mainly because it was over-complex, contained a lot of marginal
use-cases and was designed by a huge number of committees and
conflicting interests.

Best regards Hugh

--
http://www.hughbarnard.org