Hello!

Dhairya

Mar 22, 2012, 12:35:17 AM3/22/12
to openTOYS
Hello Everyone!

Firstly, I really appreciate the fact that you took the time out to
join openTOYS! Thank you for believing in the project and that it can
go out and really change the world for the better!

Let me start by introducing myself, I am somewhere in the middle of an
artist, designer and an engineer, and I love to build things that in
some way or the other are responses to what I see around me. I have
been doing this since the past 7+ years, and most of my work is here :
http://dhairyadand.com

ThinkerToys started last year while I was in suburban Phnom Penh - a
landfill as far as the eyes could see and kids who should be in
school, working there.

What we have now is 4 of the early prototypes built using Arduino.
What happens next is-

-Build more toys which turn eWaste into creative new ways of learning
or having fun.
-Keep testing these toys with kids, which ones they like and which
ones can we improve!
-Eventually, figure out the business model (non-profit sustainable) to
actually manufacture these (with smaller and inexpensive components)
and distribute them starting from the landfills and then onwards.

So lets get this rolling! We want to hear from you!

What do you love to do? What motivates you and what do you do for fun?
How would you want to help with openTOYS, all comments, questions,
critiques welcome :) And just about anything that you want to share
with the community here at openTOYS!

Have a great day ahead!

Best,

Pedro Markun

Mar 22, 2012, 9:11:30 AM3/22/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hey Dhairya,

what a beautiful project :)

I'm from an hacktivist community in Brazil called Transparency Hackers. We've been working for the past few years on getting people to understando more about *how* politics works so they can actually change it. (Kinda like computer hackers, but with policits instead!).

We've just bought a Hacker Bus last year and started travelling through brazil so we can decentralize knowledge. And in those travels what we found was most like what you describe... there's always a lot of children with little to do and little incentive to think and create on their own.

So I started looking around for projects, people and ideas that we can bring together so we can actually do something for both grown-ups and the kids :)

Last week we were in the outskirts of Ribeirão Preto (a not-so-big city in São Paulo state) and did a 'disassembling hardware workshop' for kids from 4~10. Basically we tore a computer apart to see what was inside it... it was amazing and we even talked a lot about e-waste... now I do have a follow up for that talk :D

[]'s
Pedro Markun

Pedro Belasco

Mar 22, 2012, 10:14:47 AM3/22/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Pretty nice.

I'm on the bus too, and willing to start those experiences.
Glad to find this list.

--
Pedro Belasco
-11 8108 4565

Dhairya Dand

Mar 23, 2012, 2:54:04 AM3/23/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ro!

You guys are up to awesome work at PlayPattern! I will surely love to visit you when in NYC.

Do you guys also engage with kids outside the US?

Good luck!

dhairya dand

Dhairya Dand

Mar 23, 2012, 3:07:43 AM3/23/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Ola Pedro and Pedro!

So nice to have you guys here with us! I always wanted to do something like the hacktivist bus, travel around, learn and give back to the community on your way, I am so glad you guys are into it. Any blog / flickr where you update your adventures? I'd love to stay in touch, and a big hi to everyone on the bus!

Most of the kids in the world, just like in your experience, really have no opportunity for a hands on education, learning for most is rote and memory based. In my travels in south-east asia, I have come across kids who have even dropped out of school, barely 7 and 8 they have started working hard labour to support their families.

There have been excellent efforts online - Khan Academy and so on, as well as work on tangible, playful things, and slowly more and more people are actively getting involved in reshaping education. I can only dream of a brighter future for all of us.

And the maker and the hacktivists have a huge role to play, we are changing the world, byte by byte, kid by kid :)

Viva!

dhairya dand

priya iyer

Mar 23, 2012, 4:40:14 AM3/23/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone :)

The hacker-bus is a concept which is really close to my heart too! My passion has been to reach technology to kids and the grownup kids (read: The makers) alike. I too started out my journey in the field of electronics with a dream to reach it to the masses.

The passion started from an early age of living through the problem in a developing country, facing challenges of not getting proper tools to learn electronics and being a girl. I would like to ideate more on what to do with the Ewaste, in turn, I hope to learn something too!

Ive been following the works of Ayah Badeir of 'Little bits'. She makes learning toys for kids. Can something like that be made purely out of E waste? (more like project assembly kits harvested out of discarded electronic components) That is the direction of thought in my head.

Cheers,
Priya
Message has been deleted

prabhakar pal

Mar 24, 2012, 8:44:16 AM3/24/12
to openTOYS
it was really a great stuff ..:)
i also want to make one of them i,e tv++
so, it would be great if get the tutorial asap...:)

thanks
pal