how to prevent line colors being changed from black to blue?

eunanimi

May 13, 2024, 6:19:16 AMMay 13
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Hello, I am trying to fill my animation frames using the fill tool. Before I do this I need to merge my line layers as one of them has black lines and the other consists of red and blue lines which represent the shadows and highlights of the areas. But after I merge the two layers, all of the lines end up turning blue? Can anyone please help to avoid this?

Rodney

May 13, 2024, 9:21:23 AMMay 13
to OpenToonz Users Forum
My guess is that the position of your color styles is such that they are combining when you merge levels.
Ideally you aren't using Style #1 for all your lines and you can therefore insert styles that won't matter to the merge to separate the styles so that all that are used won't be replaced when the palettes are merged.
We can move style to other locations by using Control key while selecting but that won't be true for styles zero and 1 as those are default for all palettes.

eunanimi

May 13, 2024, 9:59:25 AMMay 13
to OpenToonz Users Forum
KakaoTalk_20240513_224729498.jpg
Thank you for your help once again:) As you can see in the picture above, color #1 has been set to blue instead of black. So I guess this was what had made the lines turn blue when the layers were merged. I am teaching students 2d animation using Opentoonz and am confronting these new (at least to me) and unexpected problems almost every week, but am so glad and thankful to those of you who help me out in here!
2024년 5월 13일 월요일 오후 10시 21분 23초 UTC+9에 Rodney님이 작성:

OneWatt

May 13, 2024, 11:50:15 AMMay 13
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Not sure if this addresses what you're trying to accomplish at this point, but if I were trying to get all of those lines to be the same color I'd try this ...

Select the entire image as shown, then change the associated line style either (a) to a different color of choice while keeping the Style 1 association, or (b) changing the selected line art to a different style (clicking on another style while the artwork is selected with the selection tool) and go from there.

As noted above, using the default (alpha) style 0 and/or (black) style 1 can limit future editing possibilities once the project becomes more complicated. Whenever I forget to load a project style palette I've created and managed as I progress in a project, I wind up regretting it later ;-)

eunanimi

May 15, 2024, 8:38:12 AMMay 15
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Thank you for the reply. Like what you said, I had reset style #1 to the default black (which made all the blue lines turn black). Next I created a new style #3 that would be the blue that had to be for the lines and grabbed the fill tool to fill in the black lines with blue for each of the frames. I couldn't get the frame range option to fill in multiple frames at a time since it wouldn't be activated for line mode.

2024년 5월 14일 화요일 오전 12시 50분 15초 UTC+9에 OneWatt님이 작성:

OneWatt

May 15, 2024, 10:11:25 AMMay 15
to OpenToonz Users Forum
One other thought, just in case it's related to your issue...

With respect to project style palettes, unless you loaded the same palette (via right click) into each individual level/layer, you might wind up with different color style assignments where you might assume otherwise.

Perhaps has nothing to do with what you're experiencing, just thought I'd mention it. Using a consistent style palette and loading them into each relevant level goes a long way in  avoiding color mismatches down the road as the project progresses. Especially true when it comes to that "pesky" black line involved in line art.