Rendering big scenes

StephenG

Jul 20, 2021, 9:55:31 PM7/20/21
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Sometimes Opentoonz crashes when I am trying to render a complex scene.
Here is my approach:
  • I render the shot as 10 or 20 tif files at a time until the whole shot is done.
(If your files are numbered sequentially then Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects can recognise that list of files as a single piece of footage. This is the best quality as there is no compression and it is smaller than an avi file.)
If Opentoonz crashes before the render is finished you still have some completed work.
  • In the output settings dialog I set the channel width to 16 bit for the best colour depth coz I like using painted backgrounds.
  • Dedicated CPUs is set to Half to leave some memory for my PC
  • Render Tile is set to Small so Opentoonz can process each frame in little chunks.
I hope that helps.