Function Editor expressions variables

William Joel

Jun 12, 2024, 2:24:38 PMJun 12
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Is there a way to access various interpolation parameters, specifically handles, either using expressions or a script?

OneWatt

Jun 12, 2024, 9:59:10 PMJun 12
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Not entirely clear on what you're trying to achieve, but if you right-click on an entry within the function editor spreadsheet, you have the option to reference a file or an expression.

I haven't utilized this feature myself yet so I can't shed light on exactly how to proceed from there, but the ability to do what I imagine you're asking appears to be available.

Examine this a bit and meanwhile perhaps someone with direct experience will chime in - or explore the documentation to see if what you're curious about is covered.

Rodney

Jun 12, 2024, 11:15:14 PMJun 12
to OpenToonz Users Forum
You mention 'specifically hanles' in the body of your post so I'll submit the following:

The Curve Editor is a good place to access interplation/bias handles.
Look for the icon in the corner of the Function Edtior to openthat window.
There are other locations that can access and change interpolations but that's the primary place to see the curves and handles.
CurveEdtior.png

Gabriel Gazzán (gab3d)

Jun 13, 2024, 2:51:39 AMJun 13
to OpenToonz Users Forum
In expressions, value change over time is handled by the formula itself.
i.e. if you use a linear formula, then the property's values will be interpolated linearly within the segment, if you choose to have an exponential formula, values will change exponentially, etc.

Handles are simply a way to help the user define how a Bezier curve should interpolate between keyframes. The thing is that in a segment controlled by expressions you don't have handles, just the formula to define the property value over that time span).

OneWatt

Jun 13, 2024, 11:39:09 AMJun 13
to OpenToonz Users Forum
I've toyed with the expressions (and the file) feature of the function editor a little bit out of curiosity spurred by this post. Without delving into the documentation or forum threads, it's not obvious to me how to reference the parameter in one cell (frame) from another - as how a spreadsheet might work.

I also created a little data series in an external spreadsheet and exported to xls, cvs, odx, and cannot get any of these to be recognized as a valid file for importing under the "file" sourcing feature.

Not sure I'd have much call for using such features anyhow, just curious to see how they work. FWIW, I can make a simple expression for each cell (e.g., 8*2, (2+7)/3, etc.) in the function editor, just can't make them grow or shrink based on the data contained in the immediately prior cell (frame). Not a big deal - just curious.

Gabriel Gazzán (gab3d)

Jun 13, 2024, 2:38:37 PMJun 13
to OpenToonz Users Forum
You can take a look at this section of the Manual, to learn more about referencing other columns' properties in expressions.
(And if you go up a little in the same page, there's also a list of functions you can use in expressions.

OneWatt

Jun 13, 2024, 4:31:23 PMJun 13
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Awesome - thanks! As noted I hadn't yet made my way through this section of the manual ... now I shall.