Can I consolidate my colour palette in Opentoonz?

StephenG

Jun 30, 2021, 8:32:20 PM6/30/21
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Hi,
In Opentoonz I needed to split my coloured animation onto another level so I could apply a glow effect to it to make it look like fire. After I had cut and pasted the flames into the blank cells my level palette had multiple colour styles with the same RGB value and the same name.

Is there any way that I can reduce these all down to one colour style?
paletteList.gif
Obviously, I can't find the answer in the manual or on YouTube so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Rodney

Jul 1, 2021, 1:24:45 AM7/1/21
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Hi Stephen,
There is a process via use of the Color Model window that allows us to use a raster image as a source to reduce colors based on their simularity to other colors.  It can be a little tricky to work with but it can work quite well.  It has been quite awhile since I used it but the basic steps:

Using an image that has the you want to have in your final palette (it can be a screen capture of the palette window)...
Load the image via Color Model window
This part is essential because the options that follow only appear when using Load Color Model (i.e. when we are loading the raster image into the Color Model Window.
The dialogue box will open with various options
Look for the option to reduce the colors by having them combine with similar colors (see attached image).
Once the process is complete Save All which should save the palette.

As I say, it's been awhile since I used this method so perhaps someone else will be more familiar with the process.
ColorModelOptions.png

Rodney

Jul 1, 2021, 1:43:23 AM7/1/21
to OpenToonz Users Forum
As an example of how many colors this can reduce I tried the Color Model method with the option to have every color be it's own style vs reducing colors based on simularity.   The reduced palette produced about a dozen colors whereas the full color method created over 600 colors.

A downside of this method is that you will likely lose any naming you have applied to the styles.

reduce colors.png
all colors.png

Rodney

Jul 14, 2021, 8:09:09 AM7/14/21
to OpenToonz Users Forum
@StephenG  Returning to your topic for a moment.

There is another option I was thinking about but had forgotten where it was located so didn't mention it before...
It might be a means to assist in your effort to condense colors.
I haven't explore optimal ways to use it however.

When we Right Click on the page tab in the palette we see the option to delete unused styles.
If we either have an image that has all of the styles we want to keep or... we do a run through the palette drawing a quick stroke to 'tag' which style we want to keep... we can remove all the the style we haven't used/tagged by deleting them

I have not used this option since first testing it when it was introduced so cannot suggest how best to use it but it does seem to be a useful option.

Cheers,
Rodney
On Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 7:32:20 PM UTC-5 StephenG wrote:
Delete Unused Styles.png

StephenG

Jul 19, 2021, 8:38:29 PM7/19/21
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Excellent! Thanks Rodney.
The colour model technique worked well for me.
Opentoonz has some pretty cool features that clearly come from its use as an animation production tool.