Can I shoot stop motion with a DSLR, and have a video reference layer for rotoscoping?

adrian papworth

May 25, 2024, 9:29:43 AMMay 25
to OpenToonz Users Forum

I am in the pre-production planning stage for a music clip shoot where I want to rotoscope claymation over live action footage. My last project was shot in Animashooter, and when the 1 year lic expired, I pivoted to Arlo which is a great clean open source frame grabber (branch of Tahoma branch of OpenToonz). But my issue now is that I want a video reference layer (or I can live with image sequence) in my timeline under my cam liveview. I can see Dragonframe has this, but I am not in a position to shell out the lic fee if I can avoid it.

Can I use OpenToonz as a frame grabber from a DSLR, with a ref layer like I am describing? I am shooting with a "Rebel" (in Australia here it's 750D) Canon DSLR