Colorizing within the outline

Claire Pluie

Mar 11, 2021, 3:22:43 AM3/11/21
to OpenToonz Users Forum

Hello,

I’m quite new on Opentoonz and I have an issue with it. I drew the outlines of my background, each element in a different layer and created  a new one (Toonz Raster) in order to colorize my  scene. But I don’t find how to paint inside my elements without going beyond my outline. I tried the options « draw under », « draw over » and « palette order » and none works properly.

Also, these options disappear sometimes from the Toolbar options and I don’t understand why.

Could anyone help me please ?

DarrenT

Mar 11, 2021, 4:16:24 AM3/11/21
to OpenToonz Users Forum
When you colour, only the lines on that level are used for bucket fill operations, so you either need to bucket fill in the levels where the lines are or copy the lines to the level that you want to fill on.

Claire Pluie

Mar 11, 2021, 4:51:59 AM3/11/21
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Thanks for your response, but I don't use the bucket, I colorize with the brush. Does it mean I still have to either colorize in the same layer I used for the outlines or copy the line to the colorization layer ? Knowing that I'm going to use the same outlines but with different colours in another scene, and that I currently use the vector layer for the outline and the Toonz Raster level for the colorization with a specific brush.

DarrenT

Mar 11, 2021, 5:10:28 AM3/11/21
to OpenToonz Users Forum
I understand.
There's no tools to keep your brush painting within lines. So you can use the same level or a different one, it wont change this.

There is one way, I guess. If you copied your lines to another level, then used the bucket tool to fill in any colour, then used one of the raster brushes. They have an option (in the settings tab) to use "alpha" to lock the painting to anywhere that is already painted. So you can then paint your real colour over the top of the bucket filled colour.

Claire Pluie

Mar 11, 2021, 6:40:06 AM3/11/21
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Okay, thanks for your response and your time !

DarrenT

Mar 11, 2021, 6:56:57 AM3/11/21
to OpenToonz Users Forum
I hope this helps.

But thank you for the question. I've heard similar questions and it's reminded me that I wanted to make a video about this, to show how it can be done, which I'll do in the coming days

DarrenT

Claire Pluie

Mar 11, 2021, 10:47:58 AM3/11/21
to OpenToonz Users Forum

Cool, what’s your channel ?

So, I have another problem… I was colorizing and I found the brush was too much rasterized. What’s odd is that I previously made the sky and I didn’t have this issue. The only difference between the colorization I did and the new one is that I now use a Toonz Raster Level instead of a Raster Level and that I’m currently at 3000px X 3000px instead of 1920x1080px.

I tried to modifie the hardness but it’s automatically set at the maximum and I can‘t change it. But I would prefer to stay with a Raster level, since the brush I use (Blend+Paint) is not available within the Vector Level.

DarrenT

Mar 11, 2021, 11:59:15 AM3/11/21
to OpenToonz Users Forum

Usually when users talk about pixelation or how unclear a line is, it's because of the zoom of the viewer. Remember that your viewers will always watch your film at 100%, so it's how your drawing looks at 100% that's important.