Created a background on inkscape, its too small on opentoonz?

F M

Jan 20, 2023, 11:02:35 AMJan 20
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Hi everyone, I am really keen on learning how to make a cartoon. I have made alot of images, backgrounds and mouths for lip sycing.

I have a problem when I make a background on Inkscape, I have created a background for my cartoon, and when I add it to opentoonz its far too small.

So the question I am asking is, how can i make opentoonz "HD size" ? So when I add my HD size background it will fit perfectly onto opentoonz?

My image on inkscape says its 1080 x 1980 (HD)
But when I change settings on opentoonz its not just working?

Gabriel Gazzán (gab3d)

Jan 20, 2023, 11:15:12 AMJan 20
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Hi,
By default OpenToonz works with real measures (i.e. in, mm, etc) like a printing program does. So size is achieved by a combination of size measure (in in, mm, etc) and DPI.
You can teak DPI values of a level to adjust its onscreen size.
Alternatively, if you just want to work using resolution measured in pixels, you can activate the "Pixels Only"option in Preferences > Interface panel. Once activated OpenToonz will measure resolution exclusively in pixels.

F M

Jan 20, 2023, 11:35:18 AMJan 20
to OpenToonz Users Forum

Thanks gabc! I have now changed this! Now it thinks my image from inkscape is 5000 x 9000 haha. I will mess about with inkscape again tomorrow.

Gabriel Gazzán (gab3d)

Jan 20, 2023, 4:11:37 PMJan 20
to OpenToonz Users Forum
ok, that's probably because your exported image is actually of that size in pixels. :)
you'll need to adjust the Export DPI in Inkscape to a lower value to lower the pixel resolution.

good luck!

F M

Jan 24, 2023, 8:38:36 AMJan 24
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Thanks again for your help gap, Its working now. But I now have another problem, when moving my image to fit nicely in the centre its not bringing my full image. It just brings each part of my image. I have a blue box for the sky, and white circle/ovales for the clouds, and its so annoying having to move them individually. Would I need to get back on inkscape to make my image differently?

Gabriel Gazzán (gab3d)

Jan 24, 2023, 3:43:16 PMJan 24
to OpenToonz Users Forum
If you want to treat all those layers as a single layer, you can create whats called a "subXsheet" with those layers.
more info HERE.

F M

Feb 5, 2023, 5:58:30 AMFeb 5
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Hi Gab I ended up going back to inkscape and exporting the image to png. And then loaded it onto open toonz. I am making great progress today! I have made characters and coloured them. moved them with help of the onion skin. I then created another background for my next scene of the animation. And I added in a image of a real car and have moved that to look like its moving. Now I have a little problem, I created a circle to represent a characters face, but somehow I can't move this circle? I have no idea what I have done, because the first part of my scene i created circles and was able to move them about easily. What could this be? This time I attach a screenshot...

In this image I am using the select tool in an attempt to move the circle "face" but its just making a black line?
cant move circle.png

Gabriel Gazzán (gab3d)

Feb 5, 2023, 11:00:54 AMFeb 5
to OpenToonz Users Forum
I'm glad you can progress in your knowledge of the program.

From what I can see in the screenshot, you seem to be drawing everything in a single layer.
I'd advice to use at least an individual layer per character. (Sometimes you could/should even resort to use several layers per character, to be able to work less and have more flexibility while animating).

F M

Feb 6, 2023, 5:29:51 AMFeb 6
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Thanks for that gab, I started again and made a new column for each character. I have added all the frames to my cartoon. I have drew all my mouth movements for my character on another column, added 10 frames for each mouth movement. I have recorded audio for what my character is going to say. I have used the auto lip sync. But now I have another problem, my mouth movements go behind my character instead of in front? Is there a way to put them in front of my character? Once i figure this out my cartoon will be complete! I cant wait to show you!

I have a feeling I should of added the mouth movements to the first scene to where my character will say something, and not just to make a full cartoon and then add lip sync?

Gabriel Gazzán (gab3d)

Feb 6, 2023, 9:56:44 AMFeb 6
to OpenToonz Users Forum
I'm glad you are progressing!

The order in which drawings appear onscreen is primarily determined by the layer/column order in which they reside.
In the Timeline, layers that are above others, will show in front of those.
In the Xsheet, columns that are to the right of others, will show in front of those.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

F M

Feb 7, 2023, 7:58:52 AMFeb 7
to OpenToonz Users Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdMm7JQ3sCo here you go Gab! Thanks for helping me! I gave you a credit in the end screens

Gabriel Gazzán (gab3d)

Feb 7, 2023, 9:52:18 PMFeb 7
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Sorry, I've just read these latest messages.
But I'm glad you suceded in finishing it!
Congrats!! 😊