Zoom in on moving object?

Nigel ALBRIGHT

Mar 9, 2024, 8:12:25 AMMar 9
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Can you set it to zoom in on a moving object?  And if so how, please?

Rodney

Mar 9, 2024, 10:38:11 AMMar 9
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Hi,
I assume you mean the Camera?

Perhaps the easiest way to have the camera zoom in on a moving object is to parent the camera to the object you want to zoom in on.
It will then follow that object anywhere it goes but can be moved independently of that parent object.
In this way we can have it start from some other location... track the object... and zoom in or out anywhere along the way.

There are other ways as well, such as by using expressions but in this case that doesn't seem necessary.

-Rodney

Nigel ALBRIGHT

Mar 9, 2024, 10:53:49 AMMar 9
to OpenToonz Users Forum
Thanks very much, Rodney. That is very helpful and I think you might have hit the nail right on the head.  This to illustrate road traffic scenarios for incorporating into videos. The 'scene' will start with an overview ( looking in plan view) and then as vehicles converge the idea is to zoom in so that at the point (object) of that clip the 'camera' is tight in on the action.