Unable to send messages from application layer with thread 1.2

pieter....@basalte.be

Aug 19, 2021, 3:11:05 AM8/19/21
to openthread-users
Hi,

First some info on the used setup:
Host <-spi-> RCP

RCP is nrf52840 with ot-nrf528xx (rev 063233b) built for ot-rcp without any source code changes
Host is NXP imx soc running zephyrOS (latest main) with changes for openthread host support

Now my problem:
In all cases, I can join a thread network, the dataset is received, and a connected router device has my device in the neighbor table (both for thread 1.1 and 1.2).

If I build both Host and RCP for thread 1.1 everything works, but if I build both for thread 1.2, I am unable to send coap messages, ping other devices, ...
I do receive messages however.

I can see messages being sent to the RCP while debugging over SPI when a transmit is requested, but that is as far as can trace now.

Are there configuration options that I am missing to make thread 1.2 work? Is it something related to the radio driver? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pieter

pieter....@basalte.be

Aug 19, 2021, 4:13:01 AM8/19/21
to openthread-users
Additional info,

Running the host with Thread 1.1 and RCP with Thread 1.2 has the same issue of not being able to send messages.

pieter....@basalte.be

Aug 19, 2021, 7:28:00 AM8/19/21
to openthread-users
Maybe related, but I'm kind of guessing at this point;

How should host vs RCP configure openthread mac options, do these have to match in all cases?

For example the following:
OPENTHREAD_CONFIG_MAC_SOFTWARE_ACK_TIMEOUT_ENABLE
OPENTHREAD_CONFIG_MAC_SOFTWARE_RETRANSMIT_ENABLE
OPENTHREAD_CONFIG_MAC_SOFTWARE_CSMA_BACKOFF_ENABLE
OPENTHREAD_CONFIG_MAC_SOFTWARE_TX_SECURITY_ENABLE
OPENTHREAD_CONFIG_MAC_SOFTWARE_TX_TIMING_ENABLE

Are there other options I need to make sure are set appropriately?

pieter....@basalte.be

Aug 19, 2021, 8:26:17 AM8/19/21
to openthread-users
I've made a capture with wireshark (see attachment) where I see that the messages my device sends have a strange source/destination address (0x1027 & 0x1000)
capture-thread-1.2-2021081901.pcapng

pieter....@basalte.be

Aug 19, 2021, 8:46:18 AM8/19/21
to openthread-users
I've also made a capture (see attachment) with version 1.1 where everything does work.

And the addresses from my previous message are the rloc16 addresses, but are they supposed to be the source/destination in those cases?

capture-thread-1.1-2021081902.pcapng

pieter....@basalte.be

Aug 23, 2021, 9:43:21 AM8/23/21
to openthread-users
I have fixed my issue, I did not have implementations for otPlatRadioSetMacKey and otPlatRadioSetMacFrameCounter

Jonathan Hui

Aug 23, 2021, 1:15:53 PM8/23/21
to pieter....@basalte.be, openthread-users
Great to hear that you found the issue! Thanks for the update.

--
Jonathan Hui