Most Recent Openthread Border Router with wpantund NCP support

Michał Poterek

Mar 29, 2022, 3:12:04 AM3/29/22
to openthread-users
Hi, I'm little confused as I'm find information in some places that wpantund is deprecated and in others that it's still maintained.

What is the proper way to build ot-br? I don't see any option for wpantund? Should wpantund be installed and configured separately?

Jonathan Hui

Mar 29, 2022, 3:17:30 AM3/29/22
to Michał Poterek, openthread-users
main branch of ot-br-posix only supports RCP mode.

You can check out the wpantund/master branch, but that has not been updated for a couple years.

--
Jonathan Hui

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 12:12 AM Michał Poterek <superv...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I'm little confused as I'm find information in some places that wpantund is deprecated and in others that it's still maintained.

What is the proper way to build ot-br? I don't see any option for wpantund? Should wpantund be installed and configured separately?

Michał Poterek

Mar 29, 2022, 3:24:13 AM3/29/22
to openthread-users
Thank you Jonatan for quick answer!

Michał Poterek

Mar 30, 2022, 6:39:23 AM3/30/22
to openthread-users
I was trying to build RCP firmware for CC1352 like that

docker pull openthread/environment:latest
docker run -it --rm openthread/environment bash
git clone https://github.com/openthread/ot-cc13x2-cc26x2.git
cd ot-cc13x2-cc26x2
git submodule update --init
./script/bootstrap
./script/build -DTI_PLATFORM=cc1352

I flashed CC1352 with ot-rcp

now I'm getting  error:  RCP is missing required capabilities: tx-security tx-timing
Does CC1352 support RCP mode which is compatible with the latest Openthread?

root@beaglebone:/etc/default# sudo otbr-agent -d 7 -v spinel+hdlc+uart:///dev/ttyACM0 -I wpan0
otbr-agent[4159]: [INFO]-UTILS---: Running 0.3.0-b92b56d309
otbr-agent[4159]: [INFO]-UTILS---: Thread version: 1.2.0
otbr-agent[4159]: [INFO]-UTILS---: Thread interface: wpan0
otbr-agent[4159]: [INFO]-UTILS---: Backbone interface:
otbr-agent[4159]: [INFO]-UTILS---: Radio URL: spinel+hdlc+uart:///dev/ttyACM0
otbr-agent[4159]: 49d.17:21:37.839 [I] Platform------: RCP reset: RESET_POWER_ON
otbr-agent[4159]: 49d.17:21:37.860 [N] Platform------: RCP API Version: 5
otbr-agent[4159]: 49d.17:21:37.864 [C] Platform------: RCP is missing required capabilities: tx-security tx-timing
otbr-agent[4159]: 49d.17:21:37.866 [C] Platform------: BSD TCP function() at radio_spinel_impl.hpp:391: RadioSpinelIncompatible

Seth Rickard

Mar 30, 2022, 9:43:32 AM3/30/22
to openthread-users
Currently that repository does not have support for scheduling the RF commands. The underlying radio hardware also does not support AES encryption directly. These can be worked around with the software MAC options `-DOPENTHREAD_CONFIG_MAC_SOFTWARE_TX_TIMING_ENABLE=1 -DOPENTHREAD_CONFIG_MAC_SOFTWARE_RX_TIMING_ENABLE=1 -DOPENTHREAD_CONFIG_MAC_SOFTWARE_TX_SECURITY_ENABLE=1`

Michał Poterek

Apr 1, 2022, 8:51:53 AM4/1/22
to openthread-users
For people who want  try newest  Openthread 1.2 for CC1352 or CC2652 R7   please take a look below links

For both CC1352P2  and CC2652R7   TI has provided RCP firmware in the above links so no need anymore to use for BeagleBone obsolete Thread 1.1 in NCP configuration.

celia guerbas

Apr 12, 2022, 11:33:17 AM4/12/22
to openthread-users
Hi everyone,

I have configured RCP Silabs with  Rpi as Border router, i follow the steps detailing in openthread web site. " I got the ot-br-posix repository from github , i activated otbr-agent services and I have the ot-ctl application which manages OT1.2 "
I have flashed silbas as RCP then plug it on the Rpi===> Silabs was successfully identified by thread test harness
I do same configuration for NRF52840. I have flashed it as RCP then plug it on th Rpi ===>  RCP didn't identify by thread test harness

Are there any other steps to do for the  NRF52840  Border router other than what was described on the openthread site ?.
Thank you an advance

Celia,