Secured multicast in Mesh-Local Scope

Pengcheng Liu

Jun 16, 2021, 8:03:11 AM6/16/21
to openthread-users
Hi,

Could you please kindly confirm that if the multicast messages in mesh-local scope (ff03::) have to be security enabled?  My apologies that I couldn't find relative information from either Thread specification or rfc7731.

Thank you very much in advance,

Jonathan Hui

Jun 16, 2021, 1:24:01 PM6/16/21
to Pengcheng Liu, openthread-users
All data messages in Thread enable link security by default. However, OpenThrad does make it possible to disable link security on a given message. That said, OpenThread does not support sending an IPv6 message (multicast or unicast) with link security disabled across multiple hops - doing so would be a security issue.

Hope that helps.

--
Jonathan Hui

Pengcheng Liu