How to send packets to a end device?

Mohammed Imran

Nov 11, 2021, 7:10:52 AM11/11/21
to openthread-users
  • How can I configure my ipv6 network to have routable addresses and routes, so I can reach my end device?
  • How do I get the routable ipv6 address, and How can I send packet/payload to my end device?
Thanks!

Jonathan Hui

Nov 11, 2021, 6:15:27 PM11/11/21
to Mohammed Imran, openthread-users
Take a look at our Codelab Thread Border Router - Bidirectional IPv6 Connectivity and DNS-Based Service Discovery, which describes how to provide IPv6 connectivity and an adjacent Wi-Fi / Ethernet link.

--
Jonathan Hui

Mohammed Imran

Nov 12, 2021, 4:57:07 AM11/12/21
to openthread-users
I am using Silicon Labs hardware and have to build and flash using SimplicityStudio 5.
I couldn't find any SRP client option in SimplicityStudio that I can select. Not only that, but I found ECDSA and toggled it. But there are no changes.
Once I have my devices flashed, I tried creating SRP client and I just get an error saying : InvalidCommand.
Please help.

Jonathan Hui

Nov 12, 2021, 4:22:47 PM11/12/21
to Mohammed Imran, openthread-users
SRP is used for discovering services on the Thread network. However, you can skip DNS-based service discovery if all you want is to demonstrate IPv6 reachability.

The codelab also describes how to configure your OpenThread Border Router and demonstrate IPv6 reachability. Rather than using DNS-SD to discover the IPv6 address of a Thread device, you can simply use the OpenThread CLI on the Thread device itself.

--
Jonathan Hui

Yuping Xiao

Nov 12, 2021, 4:48:56 PM11/12/21
to openthread-users
The SRP feature will be incorporated into the G-SDK in Simplicity Studio v5 in the upcoming release (coming up soon!). As Jonathan pointed out, you don't need it if you just want to demonstrate IPv6 reachability.

To get started with building OpenThread devices and RCP on Silicon Labs hardware, you can refer to these documents:

Best regards,
Yuping (Silicon Labs)

Mohammed Imran

Nov 13, 2021, 5:09:19 AM11/13/21
to openthread-users
I have a NodeJS based COAP server running on 5683, let's say Device_A
If I have ML-EID for an end device and start a COAP server, let's say Device_B.
I now want to send packets from Device_A to Device_B.
But I get an error saying network not reachable.

If I write a script/server that will run a "child_process" and execute "ot-cli" and send UDP packets from there, is it okay. I mean is it preferred or will it be performant.

Jonathan Hui

Nov 15, 2021, 6:24:09 PM11/15/21
to Mohammed Imran, openthread-users
The ML-EID can only be used to communicate between devices on the same Thread network. Are Device_A and Device_B both attached to the same Thread network?

--
Jonathan Hui