Re: How to use extaddr to locate Thread End Device

Jonathan Hui

May 25, 2021, 1:02:05 PM5/25/21
to yinzhou tao, openthread-users
If you are using a cloud service, I think just reporting the EUI-64 to the cloud service and not changing the MAC Extended Address and/or IPv6 address is the better approach. You can always map the EUI-64 to the IPv6 address using information in the cloud. The MAC Extended Address is intentionally chosen at random during commissioning to help prevent device tracking. Also, the IPv6 address may change depending on how the overall IPv6 network is configured.

--
Jonathan Hui

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 8:21 PM yinzhou tao <taoyi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,
I want to synchronize the cloud platform to know whether the  End Device  is still connected to the OTBR network. The End Device is usually in a deep sleep, and OPENTHREAD_CONFIG_MLE_CHILD_TIMEOUT_DEFAULT is set to 60, so the gateway can know whether the Thread of the End Device is still alive.
I want to use extAddr as the identifier. The End Device will report EUI64 and SN to the cloud platform.I changed extaddr to be the same as EUI64. By looking at the extaddr field in OTBR's child table, I can corresponding to the fixed End Device. The OTBR can then report to the cloud platform whether the End Device is still connected.This is done by setting extAddr after the joiner completes. The code is shown below.
微信图片_20210525105841.png
During my testing, I found that sometimes when I looked at the child table from the OTBR, the extAddr of the End Device was not the value I set, but a random value.I know extaddr is a random value,  but Rloc16 seems to be more inconvenient to use  , so I can only use extaddr.
I want to know why the extaddr sometimes changed after I modified it.Or is there another way for the platform to be able to navigate to a End Device through the gateway?