Thread Commisioning don't change the Network Name and other parameters

Nikhil Komalan

Aug 10, 2021, 2:14:15 AM8/10/21
to openthread-users
Hello,

I created a network using Border Router GUI with new parameters. I used external commissioning using Thread Mobile app to commission new thread devices. I managed to successfully commission my new devices  using app by passing eui64 and passphrase of joiner. But when i check the joiner Network Name and other parameters it's not changed as per the new network formation.

Only thing that got changed is PANID, Channel and Masterkey/NetworkKey. My joiner device also showed device joining success in terminal and i was able to ping my NCP device as well.

But i want t know why Network Name and some other parameters was not set as per new network. And will that effect my communication in anyway ? Because i was able to ping the border router successfully.

I would like to know what are the steps i should perform if i have to recommission the same device to another network. Suppose again i have changed the Network parameters in Border Router GUI and form the network. Will the external commissioning work with out flash erase  ???

Jonathan Hui

Aug 10, 2021, 4:35:54 PM8/10/21
to Nikhil Komalan, openthread-users
Typically, the first step of recommissioning a device involves a factory reset. Does the issue still occur after performing a factory reset?

Network Name and Extended PAN ID are really information for the user and do not affect Thread connectivity.

--
Jonathan Hui

Nikhil Komalan

Aug 10, 2021, 11:10:33 PM8/10/21
to openthread-users
okay i can apply factory reset on my thread devices. But how to apply the same to a NCP device ?
And so from my understanding panid,channel and masterkey should be same for all thread devices on the network  communicate.

Jonathan Hui

Aug 11, 2021, 4:17:31 PM8/11/21
On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 8:10 PM Nikhil Komalan <nkoma...@gmail.com> wrote:
okay i can apply factory reset on my thread devices. But how to apply the same to a NCP device ?

When using `wpantund`, you can use the `wpanctl leave` command.

And so from my understanding panid,channel and masterkey should be same for all thread devices on the network  communicate.

Correct.

--
Jonathan Hui

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 11:14 PM Nikhil Komalan <nkoma...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Nikhil Komalan

Aug 11, 2021, 9:02:56 PM8/11/21
to Jonathan Hui, openthread-users
Ok, thanks.

Can you refer me any link from where I can get all wpantud commands.

Jonathan Hui

Aug 11, 2021, 9:05:05 PM8/11/21
to Nikhil Komalan, openthread-users

If compiled with libreadline or libedit, wpanctl supports an convenient interactive console. All commands support online help: type help to get a list of supported commands, or add -h to a command to get help with that specific command.

--
Jonathan Hui

Nikhil Komalan

Aug 11, 2021, 9:10:06 PM8/11/21