Routing the messages from end-device to Border Router

Paweł Czaplewski

Jan 24, 2020, 3:06:33 AM1/24/20
to openthread-users
So far we've been using the Border Router and the nodes connected to it directly
and everything is working fine. Now we want to add the topology routers in-between the BR and nodes. The nodes connect to routers just OK, but the problem is how to make the router
forward the messages to Border Router (and from BR to nodes), which is the only one that runs paho-mqtt service and connects with the broker.
Should we use some wpanctl commands, Linux routing commands, specific compilation flags for router dongles or
maybe the node should address the Border Router directly, in that case how should it know the address?
The routers are RPi3 with Fanstel USB840X dongles.

Jonathan Hui

Jan 24, 2020, 12:03:15 PM1/24/20
to Paweł Czaplewski, openthread-users
This seems to be more of a service discovery problem, rather than a routing problem. Discovering services and their associated IPv6 addresses is a common networking problem.

One quick solution is to assign a static IPv6 address to the border router's Thread interface and hard-code that address in your devices.

An alternative solution is to have the border router advertise the service within the Thread Network Data, using the otServer* APIs. This would allow your devices to dynamically discover the IPv6 address(es) associated with your service.

If you have a DNS server, you could also use that, along with OpenThread's DNSv6 APIs for issuing queries.

Of course, you could also develop your own custom solution at the application layer. For example, having the border router periodically multicasting a message that indicates the IPv6 address(es) of your service.

Hope that helps.

--
Jonathan Hui