Best way to check network connection to Border Router by FTD (end device)

Michał Poterek

Mar 11, 2022, 7:43:22 PM3/11/22
to openthread-users
I  would like to flash diode when I have connection to border router.
I was trying to use device roles but it looks not giving me full information that I'm connected to network and Border Router. I will be appreciated for hints how to make it fast and easy.

typedef enum
{
    OT_DEVICE_ROLE_DISABLED = 0, ///< The Thread stack is disabled.
    OT_DEVICE_ROLE_DETACHED = 1, ///< Not currently participating in a Thread network/partition.
    OT_DEVICE_ROLE_CHILD    = 2, ///< The Thread Child role.
    OT_DEVICE_ROLE_ROUTER   = 3, ///< The Thread Router role.
    OT_DEVICE_ROLE_LEADER   = 4, ///< The Thread Leader role.
} otDeviceRole;

Jonathan Hui

Mar 12, 2022, 11:45:54 AM3/12/22
to Michał Poterek, openthread-users
A border router can provide many services. It largely depends on what service(s) you are looking for.

You can find border router information in the Thread Network Data. For example:
That said, in many cases, what people really care about is whether the device has connectivity to some external IP endpoint. In these cases, it may be better to ping the end point itself. For example, just because a border router exists does not mean the device actually has connectivity to the IP endpoint.

Hope that helps.

--
Jonathan Hui

Michał Poterek

Mar 25, 2022, 4:11:57 AM3/25/22
to openthread-users
Thank you for your answer.  Looks like pinging external service is the most reliable option :)