nRF52840PDK Colab - no ttyACM0 on nrf USB

Robert Link

Sep 14, 2021, 4:21:33 PM9/14/21
to openthread-users
Hei all,

after flashing the board.

Whern changing the USB cable from debug port  to nrf USB port (and switching power source)  I get an error :
╰─$ ./ot-daemon -v 'spinel+hdlc+uart:///dev/ttyACM0?uart-baudrate=115200'
./ot-daemon[74530]: Running OPENTHREAD/thread-reference-20200818-1219-g7ba611151; POSIX; Sep 14 2021 18:13:16
./ot-daemon[74530]: Thread version: 3
./ot-daemon[74530]: [CRIT]-PLAT----: Init() at ../../src/posix/platform/hdlc_interface.cpp:151: InvalidArgument

I suppose it is because I do not see any /dev/ttyACM0 ?
The system I am using is Linux Mint.
Any idea?
thx Robert.

je back

Sep 24, 2021, 3:58:45 PM9/24/21
to openthread-users
I have exactly the same problem: same error message and no ttyACM* (ls /dev/ttyACM* -> No such file or directory). I have the same problem whether I use the docker image installed in the simulation codelab (worked fine) or the local build of ot-daemon.
Jan Erik

Robert Link

Sep 25, 2021, 2:58:41 PM9/25/21
to openthread-users
I think found the cause for that issue: all my nrf52840pdk's seem to use an pretty early version of the 52840. In the RADME.md in ~/src/ot-nrf528xx/src/nrf52840  there is following note:

"USB CDC ACM support

You can build the libraries with support for the native USB CDC ACM as a serial transport. To do so, build the firmware with the following parameter:
$ ./script/build nrf52840 USB_trans

Note that the USB CDC ACM serial transport is not supported with Engineering sample A of the nRF52840 chip."

Robert.

je back

Sep 26, 2021, 3:20:36 PM9/26/21
to openthread-users
I don't that explains it in my case.  I'm able to build, flash, and successfully run the zephyr USB CDS ACM composite example. When run, /dev/ttyACM0 and /dev/ttyACM1 appear and i can send information back and forth between the two just as described in the sample description.
Jan Erik

je back

Sep 26, 2021, 3:54:17 PM9/26/21
to openthread-users
I also tried the USB CDC ACM using NRF5 SDK (v17).  The USBD_CDC_ACM example compiled and ran as expected.
Jan Erik

Jonathan Hui

Sep 27, 2021, 1:05:15 AM9/27/21
to Robert Link, openthread-users
Ah, yes, I recommend avoiding early engineering samples of the Nordic nRF52840. Thanks for updating us on your issue.

--
Jonathan Hui

je back

Sep 27, 2021, 5:33:45 PM9/27/21
to openthread-users
I went through the process again and now have a dev on /dev/ttyACM0. May have been an issue with my usb cable. I still can't connect to the border router but will start a separate thread for that issue.
Jan Erik