Sub-Ghz Proprietary Support

Raul Rivera

Mar 2, 2022, 12:14:35 AM3/2/22
to openthread-users
Hello,

Sorry if this is a basic question but I am trying to get an ot-cli-ftd running on 915 MHz on the BRD4170a radio board of Silicon Labs. I was able to make it work directly on Simplicity Studio following this document:

However, from reading some of the conversations here, it seems TCP is now fully implemented a few weeks ago? So, I wanted to use that on my project but the github commit that the SiLabs SDK was based off was from last year (Dec 2021) so when I tried some of the TCP cli commands, it seems they are not yet implemented (e.g., tcp connect).

Because of this, I want to create an ot-cli-ftd directly from github with the latest commit that has TCP. I am following this guide below but until step 3a, but for step 3b (./script/build), it looks like there is no "build" inside the script folder so it gave me an error. Does anyone know why it's not there?

Also, I modified the constants based on the silicon labs document I linked earlier for sub-ghz support but I was just wondering if there are more constants that I would need to modify because I am now creating the project from github and not directly from simplicity studio? I wasn't able to test it because of the problem I mentioned earlier where "build" is not inside the script folder of the openthread repo.

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan Hui

Mar 2, 2022, 12:35:20 AM3/2/22
to Raul Rivera, openthread-users
The openthread/ot-efr32 repo has a script/build file.

The sub-GHz implementation hasn't been updated for some time, so I do not expect any change in the configuration.

--
Jonathan Hui

Raul

Mar 2, 2022, 2:15:55 PM3/2/22
to openthread-users
Hi Jonathan,

I used the openthread/ot-efr32 repo but I kept getting errors when building. I am following the document below and modified the constants in the files below. Is there anything I am missing here that's causing the build to fail?

ot-efr32/src/efr32mg12/brd4170a/board_config.h
#define RADIO_CONFIG_2P4GHZ_OQPSK_SUPPORT 1
#define RADIO_CONFIG_915MHZ_OQPSK_SUPPORT 0
#define RADIO_CONFIG_915MHZ_2GFSK_SUPPORT 1

ot-efr32/openthread/src/core/config/misc.h
#define OPENTHREAD_CONFIG_PLATFORM_RADIO_PROPRIETARY_SUPPORT 1
#define OPENTHREAD_CONFIG_RADIO_915MHZ_OQPSK_SUPPORT 0
#define OPENTHREAD_CONFIG_RADIO_2P4GHZ_OQPSK_SUPPORT 0
#define OPENTHREAD_CONFIG_PLATFORM_RADIO_PROPRIETARY_CHANNEL_PAGE 23
#define OPENTHREAD_CONFIG_PLATFORM_RADIO_PROPRIETARY_CHANNEL_MIN 0
#define OPENTHREAD_CONFIG_PLATFORM_RADIO_PROPRIETARY_CHANNEL_MAX 24
#define OPENTHREAD_CONFIG_PLATFORM_RADIO_PROPRIETARY_CHANNEL_MASK 0x1ffffff
#define OPENTHREAD_CONFIG_DEFAULT_CHANNEL 0

ot-efr32/openthread/src/core/config/platform.h
#define OPENTHREAD_CONFIG_PLATFORM_RADIO_PROPRIETARY_SUPPORT 1

Sagar Chinchani

Mar 2, 2022, 2:39:41 PM3/2/22
to openthread-users
Hi Raul,

The Silicon Labs Platform Abstraction Layer (radio code) as implemented today, supports operating on either 2.4 GHz or Sub-GHz at a time. Accordingly, only one of the three options must be selected at any time.

RADIO_CONFIG_2P4GHZ_OQPSK_SUPPORT
RADIO_CONFIG_915MHZ_OQPSK_SUPPORT
RADIO_CONFIG_915MHZ_2GFSK_SUPPORT

To work with the proprietary PHY option (on 915 MHz), set RADIO_CONFIG_915MHZ_2GFSK_SUPPORT  to 1. The other two macros must be set to 0.

Setting the above macros should automatically take care of the OPENTHREAD_CONFIG options (with default values) in openthread-core-efr32-config.h, unless you plan to modify them.

Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue.

Thanks
Sagar Chinchani

Raul

Mar 2, 2022, 2:51:50 PM3/2/22
to openthread-users
Hi Sagar,

In ot-efr32/src/efr32mg12/brd3170a/board_config.h, I set the  RADIO_CONFIG_915MHZ_2GFSK_SUPPORT to 1 and the other macros to 0.

I also changed the OPENTHREAD_CONFIG options back to the their original values.

It still won't build and I get the same errors as before. Attached are the errors I got and below is how I am building:

$ cd <path-to-ot-efr32>
$ git submodule update --init
$ platform="efr32mg12"
$ board="brd4161a"
$ ./script/build $platform -DBOARD=$board

build error.txt

Sagar Chinchani

Mar 2, 2022, 4:07:41 PM3/2/22
to openthread-users
Hi Raul,

The build errors attached point to: openthread/src/core/config/platform.h:164. Can you please confirm if you have any local changes made to this file? If yes, can you please try reverting it?

As mentioned in my last email, the only change you need at your end is an update to the board_config.h file to set RADIO_CONFIG_915MHZ_2GFSK_SUPPORT to 1 and RADIO_CONFIG_2P4GHZ_OQPSK_SUPPORT to 0.

I tried building this at my end with the above change and was able to do so without any errors. Please let me know.

Thanks
Sagar.

Raul

Mar 2, 2022, 4:29:50 PM3/2/22
to openthread-users
Hi Sagar,

I did make changes to platform.h that I accidentally forgot to revert. The build is successful now. Thank you!

Sagar Chinchani

Mar 2, 2022, 4:42:31 PM3/2/22
to openthread-users
Hi Raul,

Happy to help. Thank you for closing the loop.

Regards.
Sagar.