How to Monitor our Thread Network

Rohith R

Mar 18, 2022, 9:51:45 AM3/18/22
to openthread-users
By using the CLI command router table and child table we can find the total number of devices in the Thread.
Is there any way to find total number of devices in our Thread Network?
Becoz we have to send child table to all routers !

If a device does not receive the latest Sequence  number from the leader, it is disconnected from the Thread Network ! It is happening in the Network. Is there any method to monitor our Thread Network ?
How can we identify that a device is disconnected from the given Thread Network , at the moment when  it is disconnected?

Jonathan Hui

Mar 21, 2022, 4:27:33 PM3/21/22
to Rohith R, openthread-users
On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 6:51 AM Rohith R <rohith...@gmail.com> wrote:
By using the CLI command router table and child table we can find the total number of devices in the Thread.
Is there any way to find total number of devices in our Thread Network?
Becoz we have to send child table to all routers !

By design, Thread devices do not maintain state about all other devices in the Thread network. As a result, you would need to have each router provide the information.

If a device does not receive the latest Sequence  number from the leader, it is disconnected from the Thread Network ! It is happening in the Network. Is there any method to monitor our Thread Network ?
How can we identify that a device is disconnected from the given Thread Network , at the moment when  it is disconnected?

Thread does not provide a way to determine if a device disconnected from the network at the time of disconnection. A device could have become disconnected because it had lost wireless connectivity. However, after wireless connectivity is lost, that disconnected can no longer communicate and it will take time for other devices to determine that connectivity was lost.

--
Jonathan Hui

Rohith R

Mar 23, 2022, 4:11:49 AM3/23/22
to openthread-users
Dear   Jonathan Hui
  Than k you for your reply

Thread does not provide a way to determine if a device disconnected from the network at the time of disconnection. A device could have become disconnected because it had lost wireless connectivity. However, after wireless connectivity is lost, that disconnected can no longer communicate and it will take time for other devices to determine that connectivity was lost.
Suppose a gas detection sensor is an end device in a Thread Network?. It detected the Gas leakage,
But at that time It is disconnected from the Thread network. So it can not inform the
gas leakage to user through Thread Network. How does we can solve this kind of issue?
Need a procedure that when a device is disconnected from the Thread Network, it have to inform
the user that the given device is not in the Thread Network ?. Any idea about such a procedure?
In a real application in home it is very important

Thank You
Rohith R

Jonathan Hui

Mar 23, 2022, 6:27:42 PM3/23/22
to Rohith R, openthread-users
The typical way for verifying the liveness of a device is by having that device periodically send messages to some server. If the server does not receive the periodic messages within the expected time frame, then you can assume that the device is no longer communicating properly.

--
Jonathan Hui