Border Router implementation to support external Commissioner

Shahabuddin Mohammed

Oct 10, 2016, 12:25:59 AM10/10/16
to openthread-users
Hi all,

I have used wpantund on Linux machine with one interface as Thread (WPAN) and other as WLAN.
I used sockets to receive UDP data from the Thread devices and uploaded to cloud using MQTT. This works fine.

However, I want to use the Thread group's external Commissioner Mobile App.

I came up with these ways to implement this:
  1. A static IPv6 address can be assigned to Android app (as I learnt that Android doesn't support DHCPv6) and implement IPv6 packet forwarding between WPAN and WLAN.
  2. Implement an IPv6 (WPAN) to IPv4 (WLAN) bridge on Linux machine using NAT and connect the mobile app.

Any help to understand a proper implementation is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Shahab

Jonathan Hui

Oct 10, 2016, 12:30:53 AM10/10/16
to Shahabuddin Mohammed, openthread-users
Hi Shahab,

In order to use a standard Thread External Commissioner, such as the Thread Group's reference app, the Border Router must implement the Border Agent role.  While wpantund and OpenThread provide the necessary mechanisms to perform border routing on generic IPv6 traffic, neither currently provides the Border Agent role for Thread Commissioning.  We have plans to support the Border Agent role in the future, but do not have a firm schedule at this time.  As always, you or anyone else from the community are encouraged to make contributions.

Thanks.

--
Jonathan Hui

Shahabuddin Mohammed

Oct 10, 2016, 12:58:51 AM10/10/16
to openthread-users, shahabud...@gmail.com, jon...@nestlabs.com
 Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the info.
I will check with my team and update.

Thanks,
Shahab

Shahabuddin Mohammed

Dec 9, 2016, 8:40:19 AM12/9/16
to openthread-users, shahabud...@gmail.com, jon...@nestlabs.com
Hi Jonathan,

I would like to contribute to Border Agent Role implementation.
Please guide me.

Thanks,
Shahab

Shahabuddin Mohammed

Dec 9, 2016, 9:25:43 AM12/9/16
to openthread-users, shahabud...@gmail.com, jon...@nestlabs.com
Hi,

I have some questions:
  1. Where should the Border Agent Functionality run? As it has to send/receive mDNS on external interface, is it advisable to add this to WPANTUND?
  2. Further as most mobile devices still don't support IPv6, should it use IPV6 and send AAAA records, or use A records on IPv4 external interface to communicate with commissioner?

Thanks,

Shahab