Nrf52840 cant discover MQTTSN on OTBR rpi3

therock112

Aug 17, 2021, 9:45:05 PM8/17/21
to openthread-users
Hello,

I have OpenThread Border router successfully running on rpi3 with nordic dongle flashed with rcp etc and all of that works.

I have several particle xenon lying around (running nrf52840 chip on it)

When I flash the particle board with firmware from https://github.com/openthread/ot-nrf528xx from cli, I can successfully join the thread network etc but I cant do much else with this firmware (as in, I cant write my own application)

What I would like to do is write my own app, and this is lead me to Nordics Thread SDK v4.1.0_32ce5f8

I have Segger Embedded Studio (ver 5.50a), I can open the thread_mqtt_sn_client_publisher project and compile and flash the particle board (I had to create a brand new board definition called xenon.h) and re-mapped the button inputs from pca10056 appropriate to the xenon and the led suitable to the xenon

when I flash this to the xenon board, I have no idea if its joined the thread network or not.

It is not able to find the mqtt-sn broker no matter what, and it also cannot connect and publish to the broker and fails every time.

Any ideas and suggestions on what is going on?

I have configured the sdk_config.h with the following to match my dataset on the rpi3 OTBR:

#ifndef THREAD_PANID
#define THREAD_PANID 0x4321
#endif

#ifndef THREAD_CHANNEL
#define THREAD_CHANNEL 15
#endif

Hopefully someone can shed some light on if this is even doable with the Nordic sdk and what I might be doing wrong.

This firmware doesnt seem to have any cli interface etc...

thanks!!

Nikhil Komalan

Aug 20, 2021, 12:12:08 AM8/20/21
to openthread-users
Although you should create a thread in the Nordic Forum for this. I would suggest using CLI example first, it will create a thread cli on USB/UART port.