connecting a pod to a vmware box for use as NAS, what fast connection to use?

Gavin Schuette

Jan 30, 2014, 9:20:04 PM1/30/14
to opensto...@googlegroups.com
ideas?

Daniel Eggerstorfer

Jan 31, 2014, 2:52:46 AM1/31/14
to opensto...@googlegroups.com

Depends on the Data, usage, possible equipment and your budget.

Very cheap would be several 10GBit cards on both ends. But if you have the money you can go up to Infiniband and such connections.
I don't recommend to use a NAS for the whole VM. At least make more independent Raid10 Volumes. I've tried it year's ago and had to much trouble with the IO. It wasn't fast enough when you have to boot several VM or have some disk heavy job's.

We used RAID10 directly on the VM Boxes for about 8-20VM only for the OS and put the Data on an SAN

Am 31.01.2014 07:52 schrieb "Gavin Schuette" <c-gsc...@neogov.net>:
ideas?

Hareem Haque

Apr 13, 2014, 3:30:42 AM4/13/14
to opensto...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Daniel.

That's very useful information.

Tim Small

Jul 28, 2014, 8:08:32 AM7/28/14
to opensto...@googlegroups.com
BTW, we've had good experiences so-far (limited scale at this stage) of using 'bcache' with Intel S3500 SSDs in front of HD based RAID5s as backing stores for VMs (Linux kvm).  Depends on your VM's storage working set profile of course, but works very well for us...