Pod Acoustics - Noise Levels

slackerstech

Feb 24, 2013, 11:50:23 PM2/24/13
to opensto...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone comment on the noise from the pod?

I currently have approximately `60TB of capacity spanning multiple HP MSA arrays in a home lab environment.  I am intrigued by the Backblaze design and curious if it might be a way to reduce noise within my lab.   I like the idea of having more larger fans versus the smaller higher RPM fans in the MSA's.

I am open to ideas if anyone else has tackled the problem of a high capacity and low noise storage array.

slackerstech

Mar 2, 2013, 1:36:04 PM3/2/13
to opensto...@googlegroups.com
Anyone?

Michael Sage

Mar 2, 2013, 1:47:03 PM3/2/13
to opensto...@googlegroups.com

Our gen 2 wasn't very noisey. We only had 30disks spinning thou. Obviously you can replace the PSU and fans with quieter ones. In a rack its no louder than any other kit and certainly not as loud as a satabeast , probably noisier than our MSA though.

Kent Kovac

Apr 8, 2013, 4:59:53 PM4/8/13
to opensto...@googlegroups.com
It is really quiet for the most part, we have 2 in tandem in very small server closet, not very loud... the servers are louder.

Kent