football.csv - England (Premier League, Championship, etc.) Datasets - Reboot

Gerald Bauer

Jul 1, 2020, 2:58:38 PM7/1/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I've rebooted the football.csv datasets for England [1].
What's new? What's different?

The datasets are now a 1:1 mirror, that is,
an export in the comma-separated values (CSV) format
from the open football.db /england datasets [2].

The idea is to have a "single source of truth" with the
/england datasets in the Football.TXT format.

Questions and comments welcome.

Happy data wrangling. Enjoy the beautiful game.
Cheers. Prost.

PS: You can find some of the "old" datasets in CSV going back to 1888
and the latest seasons
now in the cached datasets, that is, James P. Curley's R soccerdata [3]
and Joseph Buchdahl's football data [4], for example.

[1] https://github.com/footballcsv/england
[2] https://github.com/openfootball/england
[3] https://github.com/footballcsv/cache.soccerdata
[4] https://github.com/footballcsv/cache.footballdata

Rae Leighton

Jul 6, 2020, 12:16:36 PM7/6/20
to opensport
Hi Gerald,

I've been trying to download the England database using the '$ sportdb new eng' command, however I'm getting the following error:

league >English Division One<, season >2000/01<
** !!! ERROR - no league match found for >English Division One<, add to leagues table; sorry

*** error: exit

Which means that only season 2010/11 is loading at the moment.

I have successfully downloaded it in the past, but I'm not sure how to overcome this error (I'm not very experienced with programming!). Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you for making such a fabulous data resource so accessible - it's amazing!

Best wishes,
R.

Gerald Bauer

Jul 6, 2020, 2:19:33 PM7/6/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Thanks for your kind words and thanks for reporting the build error.

Sorry for the trouble. Some libraries incl. the
footballdb-leagues [1a] (that bundles all known built-in leagues [1b])
need to get updated. I try to get it all done by tomorrow (Tuesday)
and report back. Thanks for your patience.

[1a] https://rubygems.org/gems/footballdb-leagues
[1b] https://github.com/openfootball/leagues

El lun., 6 jul. 2020 a las 18:16, Rae Leighton
(<louis...@hotmail.co.uk>) escribió:

Gerald Bauer

Jul 7, 2020, 4:35:53 PM7/7/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I published (pushed) updates for the sportdb tool libraries /
gems. Please update:

- sportdb-formats 1.1.2
- sportdb-config 1.1.1
- sportdb-readers 1.1.1
- footballdb-leagues 2020.7.7
- footballdb-clubs 2020.7.7

Now if you retry
$ sportdb new eng

it should work (again, sorry) - on my test run over here
$ sportdb stats
prints after the download and build

7 leagues / 28 seasons
129 events (league+season recs) / 3918 rounds
112 teams
44163 matches

Let us know how it goes and works out. Cheers. Prost.

Rae Leighton

Jul 9, 2020, 5:49:38 AM7/9/20
to opensport
Hi Gerald,

Thank you so much for updating this. I've updated the gems and the download is working perfectly now. 10 more seasons of data to work with - fabulous!

Thanks again for your help.

Best,