Project licensing

1 view

Dane Gardner

Feb 21, 2011, 9:47:00 AM2/21/11
to Open|SpeedShop-GUI
This is mostly to Jim G., but if anybody has anything to add, please
chime in.

I'm looking at which license to officially use for this project. The
NASA SBIR stated that this would be an open source project, so that
rules out any commercial licensing.

The Open|SpeedShop project is mainly under LGPL, with parts under
GPL. Qt comes under several different licenses that we can choose
from --commercial, LGPL and GPL.

In the future, I was hoping to do statically linked distribution
releases for those that don't feel like trying to install everything
manually and just want it to work out of the box --think Windows and
Macintosh users of the GUI client. This would violate Qt's LGPL
license if we are not also under the LGPL v2.1 license.

We also have the server side of the GUI which has to interact with
Open|SpeedShop directly and send data to the GUI client. I don't know
if this should be considered a separate install (from O|SS), which
would allow sysadmins to restrict using it by merely not installing
it, which would also allow for smaller installs for those that want
them. Or should we be looking at integrating the source directly into
the main distribution?

So, the bottom line _for me_ is that we select the LGPL v2.1 license,
but you may have other ideas.

Helpful links:
http://qt.nokia.com/products/licensing
http://blog.qt.nokia.com/2009/11/30/qt-making-the-right-licensing-decision/