Something incredible is waiting to happen...

1 view

Barry Bentley

Aug 21, 2009, 6:57:56 PM8/21/09
to Open Source Medicine
Damn it!

This community started out with tons of energy and a real sense of
excitement, but I can't help get the feeling we've totally lost
momentum and are starting to die out (unless there's another list
elsewhere that I don't know about).

Open Source Medicine is perhaps one of the most innovative, inspiring,
and coolest ideas out there; let's get the community back on track and
start changing the world!

It seems that we’re not making progress for two reasons:
1) We have no projects to actually work on
2) …we have even less organisation.

So here's my proposal - feel free to criticise it or come up with your
own - but please, let’s do something. I’d hate to see such an awesome
opportunity wasted:

To help us get back on track, I propose we partition the community up
into Special Interest Groups, overseen by mentors qualified in the
respective areas - if there’s no one qualified on-list, let’s start
inviting (/pestering) researchers in academia. I’m sure there are
plenty who would be willing to donate their time and expertise …and
perhaps even their labs too, if we get lucky.

Once we have organisation, we’ll need seed projects - extremely
simple, manageable projects with realistic timelines.
It doesn’t matter how trivial these projects are; we need them as a
proof of concept, to show that OSM has potential, but more
importantly, to build a sense of community.

So, if nobody has any qualms - how about we starting drawing up a list
of possible groups we’d like to have?

This is your community, and a real opportunity to make a difference …
let’s make something incredible happen :)

Bryan Bishop

Aug 21, 2009, 7:05:59 PM8/21/09
to opensourc...@googlegroups.com, kan...@gmail.com
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Barry Bentley wrote:
> This community started out with tons of energy and a real sense of
> excitement, but I can't help get the feeling we've totally lost
> momentum and are starting to die out (unless there's another list
> elsewhere that I don't know about).

Many of us are on many other mailing lists. You can try hanging out on
the diybio and diytranshumanist mailing lists. Also, the
openmanufacturing mailing list is very interested in open source
medicine, so you should try pestering us over there too.

> Open Source Medicine is perhaps one of the most innovative, inspiring,
> and coolest ideas out there; let's get the community back on track and
> start changing the world!

One of the projects that I am currently working on is a hardware
package manager. Essentially what this means is that medical equipment
should cost near zilch .. and why not if you're willing to build it
yourself to solve your own medical issues? We're eager to hear from
new active developers, so hit us up in #hplusroadmap on
irc.freenode.net sometime. Think of it as "apt-get but for hardware".

> It seems that we’re not making progress for two reasons:
> 1) We have no projects to actually work on

or you just don't know about them.

> 2) …we have even less organisation.

or you just don't know about it.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Barry Bentley

Aug 21, 2009, 7:14:56 PM8/21/09
to opensourc...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic!

It appears I've been missing out on a lot.

Thank you for informing me Bryan :)

Joseph Jackson

Aug 25, 2009, 9:50:11 AM8/25/09
to Open Source Medicine
I believe we are meeting in Oct out in San Diego. I am currently
mobilizing a mega conference for end of July 2010. As part of this I
will distribute a detailed 10 yr action plan including sections with
ideas for OS medicine--specific projects, and suggestions for how to
begin implementation.