Coordinates of brain regions

Bryan Bishop

Aug 5, 2009, 12:06:34 PM8/5/09
to diytrans...@googlegroups.com, World Transhumanist Association Discussion List, ExI chat list, bodyh...@lists.caughq.org, opensourc...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am looking for a dataset that maps different brain regions to
different bounding boxes, or even different fuzzy coordinates within
the brain. Anything more particular would be greatly appreciated as
well.

There seem to be a few coordinate systems already out there such as:
Talairach, MNI, stereotaxic, and spherical systems. Yet, I still can't
find any models that say "here is an example of a standard model of a
brain, and here is a list of bounding geometries that correlate to
different names of regions."

For others looking for similar information, the Allen Brain Institute
dataset of gene expression mapped to different tissue slices is
awesome. Though it's not quite what I'm looking for here.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Bryan Bishop

Aug 5, 2009, 1:14:33 PM8/5/09
to ExI chat list, kan...@gmail.com, opensourc...@googlegroups.com, bodyh...@lists.caughq.org, World Transhumanist Association Discussion List, diytrans...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 12:01 PM, James Choate wrote:
> This is from 2005...
>
> http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1239902

The connectome projects (like brainbow) are certainly interesting,
however that's not necessarily the dataset that I am looking for. The
connections between different regions of the brain would be absolutely
marvelous to have. For the time being, I am more interested in an
atlas that doesn't actually involve pictures, and instead says- with
coordinates- "this region is located here", where "here" is with
respect to some reference frame.

And if you haven't seen brainbow, you've been missing out:

http://heybryan.org/books/papers/brainbow/brain-350_tcm18-105648.jpg